If you’re anything like me, your mornings go a little something like this:
The MLF (meat-lovin’ fiance) knows there’s no point in trying to talk to me/get me to do pretty much anything before I get my morning coffee fix #butfirstcoffee…am I right?!!!
When I initially started following a plant-based lifestyle, this was one of the hardest adjustments for me, as I was addicted to my skinny vanilla lattes and drip coffee with sweetened creamers. Slowly I acquired somewhat of a taste for almond-milk lattes and coconut coffee creamers, but the taste still wasn’t quite right. Then I discovered hemp milk lattes and my world became whole again!
Hemp milk is one of the healthiest milk alternatives, derived from hemp seeds and water. The mixture provides a creamy texture (most similar to milk IMO) and mixes very well with coffee. Not to mention it’s a fantastic source of protein and capable of delivering the tough to find amino acid, GLA. It also contains loads of omega-3 & omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins a & e, B-12, folic acid, magnesium, potassium and iron. These ingredients contribute to a:
- Strengthened Immune System
- Clear, Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails
- Strong Heart
- Increased Mental Capacity
- Improved circulation
Now, onto the best part, the part that turns your latte golden and will give your skin that coveted GLOW. This recipe was inspired by a latte I had at an adorable restaurant in Sayulita, Mexico owned by some Australian surfers, but “golden milk” is actually an ancient Ayurvedic drink made primarily with turmeric paste. Turmeric is one of those MAJE superfoods that contain the ingredient curcumin, which has insane antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities.
So basically by combining this turmeric-based “golden” spice blend with hemp milk and metabolism boosting espresso shots you’ve got yourself some anti-inflammatory brain & beauty fuel in a mug. So.bomb. I drink this ish every morning and I swear it has helped me stay alert and on my a-game, not to mention my skin has improved.
DISCLAIMER- You will need to have access to an espresso machine in order to make this latte the way it was intended. However I will provide you with an alternate method using drip coffee but you may have to play around a bit with the recipe in order to get it to your liking.
Glowing Golden Latte
- ½ cup organic turmeric spice
- ¼ cup organic cinnamon spice
- ¼ cup organic ginger spice
- ½ tsp of spice blend above
- 1 tsp hot water
- 2 espresso shots
- 1 ½ cups organic hemp milk
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- Grab a (huge-ass) mug and stir in ½ tsp golden spice blend with 1 tsp hot water. Let sit while you brew espresso shots.
- Add espresso shots (I use two), then steam hemp milk. Pour in hot hemp milk and stir in 1 tbsp honey. Top with additional cinnamon.
- *If you do not have an espresso maker, brew ½-1 cup coffee and heat the rest of the ingredients (spice blend + hemp milk) over the stove top. Blend in a blender to get that creamy, latte like quality. Stir in honey and top with fresh cinnamon.
BOOM- your day awaits you and how can it not be a good one by starting it off this way?!!