Although I’m currently sitting at home typing this into Microsoft Word while our power is out from extreme rain/winds (and also simultaneously wondering what the eff we ever did before electricity + wi-fi) I swear I can still feel it.
Spring. Is. In. the. Air.
As cheese as this sounds, I love how our bodies are so in tune with the universe and mother nature- as the seasons change so do our tastes and cravings. We naturally begin to gravitate towards what’s available to us and in season.
Spring is a time of new beginnings and starting fresh and it’s ripe with amazing produce- spinach, peas, artichokes, leeks, asparagus, turnips, parsnips, carrots, radish, strawberries, rhubarb, mint…. You get the idea.
So not-so coincidentally I’ve been making this minty green smoothie on the reg. It’s…..
–super hydrating with coconut water,
– soothing and anti-inflammatory with turmeric and ginger
– chockfull of antioxidant rich spinach and kale
– sweet with the addition of bananas and strawberries
–nourishing and skin beautifying with creamy avocado
– and detoxifying/refreshing with cilantro and mint
It will definitely wake up the senses (and your digestion) and renew and re-energize your bod for the new season (not to mention it’s basically a facial in a glass).
It’s also delicious and obviously green AF so you can claim that you’re being totally festive for St. Paddy’s day (which is the extent of how into the holiday I get).
Minty Shamrock Smoothie
- 2 cups coconut water or coconut milk if you want it super creamy
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 small handful kale
- ½ avocado
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger root, peeled
- 1 thumb size piece of turmeric root, peeled
- a few sprigs of cilantro (you can omit if you don’t like the taste)
- 1-2 large sprigs of mint
- 1 large banana, previously frozen
- 6 large strawberries, previously frozen
- First toss all. The.green. things. Into the blender with your coconut water or milk and blend until smooth. Then add in the frozen fruit and do the same thing.
- Top with whatever you fancy. I enjoy it sprinkled with bee pollen and coconut flakes.
You’re done! Now you can feel far less guilty about those green beers you’ll be consuming later…