Turmeric + Coconut Sweet Potato Soup (Whole30 / vegan / paleo / gf)
Chances are if you’ve been following my latest posts, you’re most likely sensing a trend.
And I’m going to continue this trend on todays post because it’s my life right now and I’m into keeping it relevant and real.
More importantly, my hope is by sharing these nourishing recipes and easy health hacks you’ll feel inspired to take better care of yourself. Because January can be so blah, but by incorporating these cozy rituals I’ve found this month to be anything but. The #treatyoself movement lives on people!
So onto this Turmeric + Coconut Sweet Potato Soup, which is my latest way to partake in winter’s biggest wellness trend, hygge (aka the art of taking pleasure from simple things).
Not only is this soup slightly sweet, creamy, cozy and earthy but it also packs a powerful superfood punch with healing and metabolism-boosting ingredients like curry powder, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne powder. And let’s not forget the star of the show, the all-mighty turmeric root, which helps ward off inflammation, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and improves liver function.
So now you can add this soup to your arsenal of healthy hacks and easy ways to crowd out “the bad stuff” with more nutrient-dense food, but in a much more delicious and indulgent manner.
Or if you’re on a diet/ detox/ cleanse/ challenge (because #newyearsresolutions) this soup adheres to pretty much ALL dietary restrictions. It’s naturally Whole30- friendly (just leave out the sweetener), dairy-free, paleo, vegan, gluten-free and refined-sugar free.
So there you have it, your perfect go-to comfort in a bowl for any night of the week.
Turmeric + Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
PREP TIME: 10 MINS. COOK TIME: 1 hour. SERVES: 4-6
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder
- 1 heaping tsp turmeric powder (or 1 tsp fresh grated turmeric if available)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup creamy cashew butter
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 14 oz can full fat organic coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar (if not doing Whole30)
- chopped cilantro
- coconut cream
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Add peeled and chopped sweet potatoes to a large baking pan and toss with 2 of the tbsp of coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting add the remaining 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large stovetop pot and head over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 10 minutes or until caramelized. Add garlic and all other spices, mix well and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add veggie broth, cashew butter and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 15-20 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are done roasting).
- Once sweet potatoes are done roasting take them out of then oven and add them to the soup pot. Simmer an additional 30 minutes to really meld the flavors. BONUS TIP- if you’re running low on time or energy you don’t HAVE to roast the sweet potatoes and can cook them in the pot. I prefer roasting as it adds another layer of depth/ flavor.
- With an immersion blender or regular blender carefully puree the soup in batches (I do it in 2 batches so it doesn’t explode in my blender!).
- Serve with chopped cilantro, coconut cream or milk, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Sending you lots of virtual hugs and healing vibes.