7- Ingredient Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse (Dairy-free/ Vegan)
I am beyond excited to share this recipe with you!
If you crave desserts, obsess over peanut butter and chocolate together (seriously the best combo ever- amiright?!), or love salty-sweet anything, this salted chocolate peanut butter mousse with coconut whipped cream is totally your jam.
Not only does this recipe encompass all of the above but it is so easy to make (7-ingredients), does NOT require any cooking, baking or prep and is deliciously chilled and perfect for those hot summer nights (you can even stick it in the freezer extra long to make (n)ice cream).
It also wouldn’t be a So Fresh n So Green signature recipe without being loaded with healthy, good-for-you-nutrients and free of any processed, chemical-laden junk or inflammation-causing dairy and gluten.
In fact the only sugar in this dessert is supplied by dates and coconut nectar, both of which are on the lower-end of the glycemic index, and IMO two of the best options for sweeteners out there (other safe alternatives are raw honey, grade b maple syrup, black strap molasses and coconut sugar).
So why do I reach for dates and coconut sugar over anything else?
Dates are a form of dried fruit, so while they have a higher concentration of sugar than a piece of whole fruit (like an apple) they’re still loaded with nutrition and fiber, which slows the release of sugar during digestion and helps moderate the release into our blood stream.
This “slow release” is super crucial because eating sugar and other high-glycemic foods (aka WHITE breads, pasta, rice. etc) flood our blood stream with glucose- and too much glucose in our blood is toxic. As a result insulin rushes in and to save the day and remove that toxic glucose from our blood. BUT it has to go somewhere so it stores the glucose in fat cells instead, thus causing us to gain weight.
Coconut nectar is also on the low-glycemic end and is suitable for diabetics. It’s derived from the sap of a coconut tree and is rich in enzymes, minerals and amino acids.
Thus using these sweeteners in combination with protein-rich peanut butter, avocado loaded with healthy fat (which also slows the release of insulin and gives this mousse a silky, rich texture), antioxidant-heavy cacao powder and a sprinkle of sea salt for good measure- delivers one seriously superfood dessert.
In fact this would also be a great snack after an intense workout or even a yummy breakfast if you’re in the mood for a real treat (which who isn’t really?) It’s also an excellent dessert option for kiddos as it will satisfy their sugar cravings minus those intense sugar high’s and lows. Oh and don’t worry, it’s equally impressive for the men in your life- this is one of meat-lovin’ hubby’s FAVORITE desserts and he craves it on a weekly basis.
And if you really feel like outdoing yourself don’t forget the coconut whipped cream- it’s only an additional four ingredients and takes 5 extra minutes. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
7- Ingredient Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
(serves 2-4, depending on if you want a large or small portion)
Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 very ripe avocado
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- ½ cup almond, hemp or other non-dairy milk
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- ¼ cup coconut nectar or pure grade b maple syrup
- sprinkle of coarse sea salt, to taste
Lavender Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can coconut milk, chilled at least 24 hours or 1 can coconut cream, chilled 24 hours
- 1 tsp fresh lavender blossoms
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar or maple syrup
- Toss all chocolate peanut butter mousse ingredients (except the sea salt) in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into serving sizes, sprinkle with sea salt and store in the freezer for 2-3 hours to chill
- While mixture is chilling combine all coconut whipped cream ingredients in a large bowl and beat with mixers until whipped. Store in the fridge until mousse is ready.
- When mousse is done chilling top with coconut whipped cream and revel in sweet dessert heaven.
- Hormone Balancing Smoothie Formula + Recipes - January 20, 2021
- First-Trimester Pregnancy Hormone Balancing Tips: How to Reduce Nausea, Fatigue + Other Hormonal Symptoms - January 6, 2021
- How to Naturally Balance Your Hormones with B Vitamins - January 4, 2021