About Me + Why I'm Here
Full disclosure: My journey to a healthy, happy life has been a long, emotional and difficult one. For the first 18 years of my life I paid little to no attention to my health and truly believed my digestive issues, bloating and irregularity, skin breakouts, low energy, elevated stress levels, sleepless nights, headaches, anxiety and mild depression were totally normal. I'd been experiencing these symptoms for so long I couldn't remember what anything else felt like.
Before this realization I went off to college, graduated with a degree in Journalism and Nutrition and began paying more attention to what I ate, but only because it affected my weight. I wish I could say I began to feel better, but I was merely tricked by marketing gimmicks into eating more "low-calorie", "skinny" and "diet foods" like sugary protein bars, fake-ingredient-filled Lean Cuisines and other processed crap. This diet-food craze and strict relationship with food only worsened all my conditions and brought on a whole new level of stress about what I should and shouldn't eat.
After graduating college I developed an intense passion and deep curiosity regarding health and wellness. I enrolled in nutrition school where everything I learned went against pretty much everything the media and marketing had previously taught me. Restricting calories, counting carbs and eating foods heavily marketed as "healthy" weren’t the answer to health. They were actually the problem, all centered around processed, fake foods and chemicals that cause inflammation in the body, setting off a domino effect that influences every aspect of our health.
I began to pay attention to ingredients and cut processed and inflammatory foods out of my diet. I started cooking for the first time in my life (if I can do it, anyone can) and nourishing my mind and body with real foods. Soon I noticed a huge shift in my energy, my digestive issues cleared up, I slept better, felt more balanced and began getting compliments on my skin. I lost fat and gained muscle easily and finally felt at peace with both my body and my mind. For the first time since I could remember, I experienced what looking and feeling amazing actually feels like, something I think most of us don't know or haven't felt in far too long.
As a result my life and my life's purpose have completely transformed in the most beautiful way. I've never felt healthier or happier and my mission is to share what I've learned and condense it into a much easier, quicker, more supportive and fun journey for you. You deserve health, happiness and a life you truly love. Let's make it happen together.
My Credentials + Background
Yes, I can testify by my own life-changing experience, but I also graduated with a minor in Nutrition through Arizona State University, am a Certified Holistic Health Coach accredited through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and am a food and culinary nutrition blogger for SofreshNsogreen.com.
My Areas of Expertise Include
- Nutrition Lifestyles/ Diets: Fluent in the field of nutrition, dietary restrictions and specialty diets ranging from vegan to paleo lifestyles.
- Behavior Change: uncovering core beliefs and thoughts that lead clients into addictive behaviors and patterns. Then creating a strategy that is actionable, forming new habits and creating sustainable change.
- Intuitive Eating: Helping clients decode cravings, build a healthier relationship with food and tune into their body’s unique needs. Clients learn how to become their own health expert as well as the skills they need to navigate healthy choices and behaviors in real life.
- Meal Prep, Planning and Cooking: Eating healthy shouldn't have to be complicated or boring. I believe and am experienced in creating easy, delicious real-food recipes that are easy for the whole family to enjoy.
- Time + Money Saving: Living a healthy lifestyle shouldn’t be too hard or cost too much. I teach clients simple ways to save money on groceries and eating out as well as meal-prep/plan techniques.
My Nutrition Philosophy
- Eat Real Food: Most of the time this is food without ingredient labels or weird ingredients you don't recognize/know how to pronounce. Try and stick to food items with one ingredient (i.e. avocado, strawberries, chicken, broccoli, etc.). These foods are as real as it gets.
- Eat More Plants: These are the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Incorporate them into most (if not all) meals if possible. They will support your body and mind in functioning properly and you’ll begin to feel better naturally.
- How You Feel Matters: You should feel better after you eat, not feel worse.
- Diets Don’t Work: How many times have you tried a diet and lost weight, only to gain all of it back (and maybe even more) ?! Diets are only effective at helping you lose weight, not keep the weight off for good. They are rooted in restriction and deprivation, and as humans hard-wired to crave pleasure this is not sustainable.
- Don’t Be Basic: Healthy doesn’t have to be boring. I believe in cooking delicious food that looks and tastes amazing.
- Focus On Adding In, Not Taking Out: Instead of focusing on what you can’t eat or creating weird food rules, simply start adding in more healthy ingredients at each meal (spinach in smoothies, a salad with your dinner entrée, or warm lemon water before coffee). You’ll start to feel better naturally and crave less of the “bad stuff.”
- Bio –individuality: Each body is unique and has a unique path to optimal health and wellbeing. Food and diet is not a one-sized fits all approach.
- Primary Foods: Non-food sources of nourishment (such as your work, relationships, energy, exercise and spirituality) also play a crucial role in your relationship with food and overall health.
- Eat Mindfully: When you eat mindfully you learn to trust your own body and listen to what it needs. Plus you enjoy and appreciate your food more!
- It’s All About Balance: Sure I love a good green smoothie, but I also enjoy wine and anything dark chocolate. Life’s too short to not enjoy it. Balance out the foods you love with the foods you know help you feel and look your best.
My Coaching Philosophy
As a certified nutrition and healthy lifestyle coach I'm here to help you evolve into your happiest and healthiest self, instead of being left to slowly figure it out on your own like I did. Although I'm grateful for my journey it was a long one, and I wasted too much time and energy in the process.
One of the easiest and quickest ways to make a change in your life is to hire a coach, someone that can keep you on track and accountable, be there for you when you struggle and offer constructive ways to push yourself forward. Someone that can help you figure out a sustainable plan that works for your lifestyle and is easy to stick to- while also challenges you slightly and puts you the tiniest bit out of your comfort zone. This is the best way to move forward, because if you don't life can become stagnant and your purpose and path can become foggy. I'm here to help you so you don't get stuck. So you have the freedom to live the life you've always wanted, but never thought you could have.
There are three reasons why people don't follow through:
They don't have a plan.
They don't have accountability.
They don't have the support.
My customized 1:1 coaching plans are designed to give you all of the above plus motivation, inspiration, handy tips and helpful resources. We'll work together to incorporate healthy habits and develop a long-term strategy that will keep you on your path and help you get back on when you fall off (because this is real life). Consider me your go-to accountability partner, friend and support system on this journey to taking control of your health in order to show up fully for your life and those that matter most.
Frequently asked questions
You sure know how to ask great questions! Here are the answers to those most commonly asked.
01 | What is a health coach?
A health coach is a supportive mentor and wellness authority that works with clients to help them feel their best through food and lifestyle changes. Instead of prescribing one diet or way of exercising, health coaches tailor individualized nutrition and wellness programs to meet their clients’ needs.
02 | What is IIN?
The Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) was founded in 1992 by Joshua Rosenthal. It is now the largest nutrition school in the world with over 100,000 graduates in over 100 countries worldwide. IIN offers the most comprehensive training in nutrition, coaching skills and business development and is the only school that explores more than 100 dietary theories. It’s classes are taught by world-class leading educators, physicians, researchers, doctors and nutrition experts at the forefront of the health and wellness movement. The curriculum encompasses a holistic approach to health and wellness with the understanding that relationships, exercise, career and spirituality are just as important as the food we eat.
03 | I'm on a budget, can I really afford to eat and live this way?
Absolutely! You don’t have to purchase all organic or crazy super-food ingredients if you can’t afford to do so. The important thing is to focus on real food and local ingredients when you can. Check out the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean 15” lists for tips on when to go organic if possible. Plus when you start cooking and meal planning more often, you’ll make less frequent unplanned (and expensive) trips to the grocery store and spend a lot less money eating out. Not to mention most processed and convenience foods are more expensive then the real ingredients are themselves. Think of eating well as an investment in your health: Is there anything more important than taking care of the one body you have?
04 | Preparing and cooking healthy food seems like a lot of time, how do I make it efficient?
I got your back on this one! Having a meal plan and spending a couple of hours one day in the kitchen prepping food will keep you on track the rest of the week. This ensures no matter how busy you are, you’re able to keep fueled and on track with nourishing food, instead of reaching for less than optimal eats out of convenience or hunger. Check out my blog post on How To Become A Meal Prep Master or sign up for a complimentary coaching consultation to get more guidance and support in meal planning and prepping.
05 | How do I start?
It’s so simple and does not involve some crazy diet or strict cleanse. Just start by adding more real, whole, nourishing food into your diet and you’ll naturally start eating less of the not so “good stuff.” The goal is to make small, sustainable enhancements to your meals that lead to bigger impacts on your health. If you need more guidance in how to add real food to your diet, meal planning and cooking, or how to create and stick to these habits for sustainable change, sign up for a complimentary nutrition consultation.
06 | How does the 1:1 coaching work?
07 | What results can I expect in working with you?
My coaching programs are designed to help you make meaningful changes and get real results. Some of those include:
- You’ll learn which exact foods make you feel and look your best
- You’ll reinstate a healthy weight and have the understanding and tools keep it off for good.
- You’ll reduce your toxic load and stress levels, and get your hormones back on track.
- You’ll balance your digestion, heal your gut and stabilize your blood sugar.
- You’ll sleep better, have more energy and stop relying on outside sources (like caffeine and sugar).
- You’ll know how to understand and overcome cravings.
- You’ll be able to listen to your body and eat more mindfully and intuitively.
- You’ll learn how to organize easy, healthy and manageable meal options based on your and your family’s needs.
- You’ll learn which areas of your life are lacking or holding you back from the life you want (work, relationships, spirituality, body and mind, energy and exercise) and how to nourish and fuel them.
- You’ll learn how to practice self-care so you can be the best parent/spouse /CEO/creator/healer/friend/artist/activist, etc. possible
- You’ll learn how to implement a level of physical activity that is fun and feels good.
- You’ll learn how to set and accomplish goals, take action and create long-term health habits.
- You’ll re-learn to love yourself and your body.
- You’ll connect to joy and ignite your passion for life.
08 | How is this different than a cleanse or diet?
This is NOT a diet, set program, cleanse or “one size fits all approach.” There are no rules or restrictions, just strategies and support designed to help you learn more about food, how it affects your life and ensure that it’s supporting you in reaching your goals, not sabotaging them. There’s a lot of information, diets, cleanses and programs out there, but the problem isn’t the amount of options or availability of information. As successful Derek Sivers said, “If information was the answer, we’d all be millionaires with six-pack abs!”
With 1:1 coaching, you don’t just get the information; you get the strategy and support you need to actually apply it to your life. So you address the root cause of what’s been holding you back, take real action, create new healthy habits and get long-lasting results.
09 | How do I know if your 1:1 coaching program is right for me?
My coaching plan will be your jam if:
- You want to look better, feel better, stress less and have more energy.
- You want a better quality of life — whether that be getting off prescribed medications, reducing chronic pain, keeping up with your kids, or feeling good enough to do things you used to enjoy when you felt better
- You or someone in your family was diagnosed with a dietary restriction or autoimmune disease and you need help navigating it
- You feel overwhelmed eating out, in the kitchen, at the store or while traveling trying to pick the best options.
- You’re a busy professional and don’t feel like you have enough time to cook or “be healthy.”
- It can feel impossible to figure out what to feed yourself and your family.
- You’re lacking energy, mental focus and depending on caffeine or sugar to get through the day
- You’re constantly stressed out or dealing with anxiety
- You’re tired of losing weight through dieting only to gain it back (and then some) and dream of having a healthy relationship with food.
- You’d like to be healthy but it just seems too expensive and like too much work.
My coaching plan will NOT be your jam if:
- You’re looking for a quick fix or one size fits all approach.
- You’re not willing to dig deep and do the work.
- You’re not willing to go outside of your comfort zone.
- You’re not ready to change routines or shift lifestyle habits.
- You’re not open to new foods, concepts or developing a listening to your body’s wants and needs.
- You just want a set cleanse or strict diet/fitness plan.
- You just want someone else to tell you what to do or do the work for you.
Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? Holler at me here.
Love from clients
Lauren recognized this and worked with me on a strategy that was practical, realistic and tailored specifically to my goals. I was surprised by how much I learned, and after making some fairly small changes I’m now empowered to make healthier day-to-day food choices, I don’t crave as many snacks, I feel fuller longer and my energy is steady throughout the day.
Lauren is wonderful to work with. She is super knowledgeable in health and radiates an energy that is contagious. Her educated guidance helped me view food differently and sustain energy throughout my day (without unnecessary snack-breaks or mid-afternoon crashes). Her approach and coaching style is highly recommended. Lauren has a heart of gold with a soul that is genuine and pure. She will be your biggest cheerleader and has been a pleasure to work with!
But Lauren provided me with the accountability, goals-based sounding board and encouragement I needed to make these healthy lifestyle changes -- especially in terms of acknowledging acts of self-sabotage and shifting my attitude from procrastination and excuses to motivation and actually doing.
What Lauren offers is so much more than just meal-planning or nutrition -- she doesn’t just tell you what to eat but she teaches you how to learn that for yourself. She offers valuable life skills you can apply to all other goals in life (exercise, fulfilling relationships, etc), and helps you identify any potential setbacks to make sure they don’t continue to happen and hold you back from what you want in life. As an N.D. I recommend Lauren to many of my patients, and anyone who needs to support in achieving long-term wellness goals.
After working with Lauren I feel so much better! I don’t crave sugar or sweets, and feel like I am eating what I need to eat. Food tastes so much better and has a purpose. My mood and energy levels have also changed and I don’t feel bloated anymore! It is a lifestyle (not a diet) and I notice the differences in choosing foods that will help me in daily tasks to working out in the gym. I am so grateful for the time I had with her and really learned a lot
The program wasn’t strict, with structured do's and don'ts. Rather Lauren made suggestions and encouraged me to explore how those adjustments made me feel. I approach my meals much more mindfully now - asking “myself how will this meal make me feel, will it give me the fuel I need to go about my day?” rather than mindlessly following cravings. I’d absolutely recommend her services.
Lauren has been instrumental in my transition into a healthy lifestyle. By doing an in depth interview on my goals and time frame, Lauren was able to construct an exercise and eating regimen that seemed doable AND made sense.
She satisfied my curiosity and skepticism with articles and studies and her own in depth knowledge and experience. Most importantly she communicated with me weekly to review my progress, goals, and to discuss possible modifications.
At all times she has been patient and concerned while endeavoring to keep me “on track.”
I had reservations regarding the need for a life coach but my work with Lauren alleviated that. I’m experiencing weight loss, muscle and energy gain, and an improved self image! I’m looking forward to continuing our work together.
There’s a reason you’re here — and I’m so grateful and honored you’re inviting me into your life. Now let me return the favor and support you on your journey to health, happiness and a life you love! Because you’re so worth it.