Six-Ingredient, Five-Minute Golden Glowing Turmeric Milk (Dairy-free)
Blowing up as an ingredient at juice bars, popular restaurants and in healthy bloggers’ recipes (including mine), turmeric is so on trend right now.
Word on the street is it’s the new superhero spice and if you’ve made my golden glowing latte you’re probably digging this root as well (pun intended- sorry couldn’t help myself).
So why exactly is this spice rack staple the best thing since kale? Let me break it down.
- It does wonders for inflammation– which is not only a bad word in the health industry but a big cause of all sorts of ailments including (but not limited to) indigestion, headaches, cramps, colds and sore throats, the flu, arthritis, IBS, diarrhea, Crohn’s Disease, neurological disorders, etc.
- It’s been used for centuries in Ayurvedic practices and Eastern medicine as a “healing spice” (for aforementioned woes) due to it’s high level of antioxidants, phytonutrients as well as antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- It contains curcumin, which studies show can inhibit cancer cell growth and prevent all types of cancer.
- It’s a deep golden color that adds amazing brightness and has a warm, earthy, slightly spicy flavor that mixes really well with sweet and savory dishes.
- It’s so good at what it does that it’s classified as an adaptogen, which means it helps the body adapt to stressors like environmental toxins, inflammatory foods, and lack of sleep.
- Studies have shown that eating a diet rich in turmeric and other antioxidant rich spices reduces the negative effects of high-fat meals, lowering insulin response by about 20%- heeellls yeah.
- It helps neutralize free radicals, which attack the healthy cells in your body and can damage your skin, thus majorly supporting your beauty regimen and keeping you looking like your young hot self.
So, what better way to start and end your day than with a dose of this nutritional powerhouse, especially when you can have it in a recipe as delicious as this golden glowing turmeric milk.
Golden milk is an ancient Ayurvedic drink which was traditionally consumed at night to promote sleep and boost health and vitality, but the jury’s out on whether or not it actually affects sleep (the theory behind that originated due to the tyrptophan content in milk, NOT turmeric itself). I do think having a warm, comforting (caffeine-free) drink in the evening provides soothing effects on our digestion and helps to relax us.
I especially love it first thing in the morning mixed in with espresso for my golden glowing latte (aka brain fuel) but its also amazing after dinner or whenever you’re craving something sweet.
Plus it is RIDICULOUSLY easy to make- I’m talking six-ingredients and five minutes, not to mention substituting hemp milk or my homemade cashew milk gives it a creamy, dreamy consistency sans dairy.
Golden Glowing Turmeric Milk
2 cups hemp, cashew or other non-dairy milk
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tbsp coconut oil (you can ommit this and it still tastes great)
1 tbsp raw honey
- Pour all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over the stove on warm heat and whisk until everything is melted and well-combined (2-3 minutes).
- If you want that extra frothy factor, toss it in the blender and mix for a few extra seconds.
- Add it to espresso or drip for a delicious latte or pour into a mug and drink as a soothing elixir any time of day.