For those of you that follow me on insta (sofreshNsogreeeen y’all) you may have noticed that lately I’ve had a fever, and it’s not for more cowbell. On the contrary, avocado toast is the name of my latest obsession, and I think it’s one that will be sticking around for quite awhile.
First of all, there are so many ways to do avocado toast that it would take a long time to become boring. There’s savory with hemp seeds, sea salt and spices; sweet with pomegranate, pistachio and mint; hearty with a soft-boiled egg on top; decadent and drizzled with cashew cream sauce; mashed guac style with cilantro, radish and lime…..I could go on forever baby.
Second, the health benefits are ridic. One avocado contains a plethora of vitamins (A, C, E, K and B6) an enormous amount of potassium and “healthy” fat (omega-3, the good kind that prevents against heart disease), and all 18 essential amino acids (these are required for the body to form a complete protein). These key ingredients help improve your absorption of nutrients when combined with other foods and can reduce signs of aging, regulate blood sugar and improve eye health. I seriously eat at least an avocado a day and I’ve started adding them to my green smoothies in the morning which helps keep me satiated until lunch.
Also, depending on your style of avocado toast there’s even more health (and flavor) enhancing opportunities. I personally like to use gluten-free toast made with quinoa and brown rice flour (as I cannot digest gluten). My fave version also contains a bit of lime juice (lots of vitamin c), a soft-boiled egg (77 calories, 6 grams of protein, 5 grams of healthy fat & a butt-load of nutrients) and metabolism boosting spices like paprika and sumac.
*Disclaimer- Yes, I am aware that eggs are not vegan, but the health benefits to me personally outweigh the cons and my body has been craving them lately (and I try to listen to what my body needs). More to come on that later.
The best part? It’s cheap, quick and easy. Depending on the style you can make this bad boy in under 10 minutes with less than 10 ingredients. #winning
Here’s how I do avocado toast, but feel free to improvise based on how you do #avotoast.
SoFreshNSoGreen Style Avocado Toast
- 2 thick pieces of crusty, nutrient rich bread (I use Flying Apron’s gluten-free garlic herb bread)
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 four minute egg
- sprinkle of sea salt, pepper, sumac & paprika
- drizzle of lime juice
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- ½ tsp sriracha
- First start on your four minute egg. Put egg in a pot of water and add a dash of vinegar (this makes it easier to peel off the shell). Bring the water to a boil with the egg in it. Once boiling, remove the pot from heat and set the timer for four minutes. Once the timer goes off set the egg in a bowl of ice cold water to cool.
- While egg is cooking, slice bread and toast until your preference in oven (I like mine crispy and browning around the edges).
- Whisk together vegan mayo, drizzle of lime juice and sriracha. Spread on bread once finished toasting. Then slice avocado on toast.
- Once egg has finished cooling, peel shell and slice in half on top of toast halves. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, paprika and sumac.
Eat, then repeat. All day err day.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- Balance Blood Sugar + Hormones With This Fudgy Brownie Batter Hummus - February 26, 2020
- How to Boost Your Libido + Have Better Sex By Naturally Balancing Your Hormones - February 18, 2020
- Mood-Boosting No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo/Vegan) - February 12, 2020