I’m sure we all know by now that Mother’s Day is this Sunday, and I plan on cooking my ma up some delicious brunch. IMO, a home cooked meal that caters to your guests palate preferences and dietary needs is an excellent way to show them you care. It takes thought and effort (menu-planning, grocery shopping, and the actual act of cooking), and it’s also an activity that allows you quality time to catch up (I usually do prep work beforehand and then invite my guest over a bit early so we can chat over wine or mimosas (in the case of brunch) while I finish up the meal). This Mother’s Day I’m doing something a little different and not only whipping my mom up a betch-worthy brunch, but I’m also gifting her the recipe on these sweet recipe cards by treat, as I’m pretty sure she’ll like this dish so much she’ll want to recreate it.
My mom was diagnosed with Celiac’s Disease over 10 years ago, before most people even knew what “gluten” was, let alone that it lurked in many unassuming foods. She struggled with finding things to eat at restaurants and new recipes to try that her family would also eat as well (I used to be a gluten lovin lil betch). Since that time she’s discovered other food allergies (many similar to mine, such as dairy) which has made it even more of a challenge for her to feel well and also be able to eat delicious and satisfying meals. Thankfully, times they are-a-changing, and there’s serious awareness and food options for those with dietary restrictions now more than ever. Including my casa, which is obviously GF & DF friendly.
I’m always encouraging my mom to check out my blog for new recipes to try that I think she’d enjoy (she’s a fantastic cook and a MASTER baker), however she doesn’t get on the internet all that much. She covets her recipe books and cuts new ones out of magazines or copies them down from friends. She’ll sometimes ask me to email them to her, and then she prints them off and keeps them in a folder. So I knew when I saw these recipe cards on Treat they’d be just perfect for her. They’re adorbs, personalized, and save my mom the hassle of having to get online and look up/print out the recipe…which, shall we get to already? (Sidenote- if your mom is a bit more internet savvy- you can send these in digital form as well ;)).
These pancakes are seriously one of the EASIEST dishes you will ever make, but that doesn’t compromise their deliciousness. They’re surprisingly light, healthy, and perfect for brunch (Mother’s Day or not). Don’t forgo the strawberry sauce, it complements the lemon-poppyseed flavor and adds a bright finish. I tested these out on MLB, and let’s just say he more than approves (he wolfed them down in mere minutes and requested seconds).
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- 1 ½ cups GF pancake mix (such as Bob’s Redmill)
- 1 ¼ cup vegan milk such as hemp milk
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 alternative eggs (such as Ener-g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- ½ fresh vanilla bean, chopped
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ lemon, juice squeezed
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- First combine strawberry sauce ingredients and set aside to get it nice n juicy.
- Combine hemp milk and lemon juice and set aside to curdle.
- Combine all the rest of the pancake ingredients, then add curdled lemon milk last. Stir well.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium high head at add in a dollop of coconut oil. Use a ¼ cup to scoop batter and drop in pan. When edges crisp and there is a good amount of bubbles, flip. Remove from pan when both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with strawberry sauce, vegan butter and pure grade b maple syrup.
Now chow down and revel in the knowledge that you’re totally the best daughter/son ever.
- Hormone Balancing Smoothie Formula + Recipes - January 20, 2021
- First-Trimester Pregnancy Hormone Balancing Tips: How to Reduce Nausea, Fatigue + Other Hormonal Symptoms - January 6, 2021
- How to Naturally Balance Your Hormones with B Vitamins - January 4, 2021