Vegan + Gluten-Free Coconut Yogurt, Granola and Berry Parfait
I don’t know about you, but my betches and I love us some brunch. Personally, if I could, I’d eliminate breakfast and lunch and eat (the far superior) brunch every day of the week- however my M-F work schedule seems to get in the way. Thus brunch is saved specifically for the weekends, and whether I’m going out with ma betches or cooking at home, it’s a ritual I relish in.
Because its a #newyear and many of us are trying to stick with those #newyearsresolutions aka #totalboredom I’ve been testing out some healthier/lighter brunch fare. Even though everything I create and consume is vegan/glutenfree/organic/plant-based, some of it can still be a bit heavy and thus harder to digest. Also keep in mind not all vegan food is created equal, as some recipes are much more nutrient dense than others. But don’t get discouraged, because I have just the recipe for you to indulge in your brunch cravings while simultaneously becoming more beautiful from the inside out.
For those who aren’t familiar with my health guru Kimberly Snyder’s Beauty Detox Solution, it’s an amazing book that will make an impact on your lifestyle and the way you view food in general. To sum it up, Kimberly encourages you to makeup your diet of a variety of plant-foods, each with it’s own health and beautifying properties. According to the Beauty Detox Solution, this recipe includes a plethora of beautifying ingredients, so to make it easy on you, Ima break it down.
For Youthful Skin- Coconuts. Coconut in all it’s forms (meat, water and oil) is one of the best beauty foods available to promote youthfulness ( it’s like, the new botox). This is because it’s one of the best natural hydrators there is, and hydration is essential for younger looking skin. Coconuts aid in the healing and rejuvenation of skin’s collagen and help restore elasticity and flexibility to your skin. I drink coconut water and use coconut oil for cooking pretty much everyday- which is why my skin looks so amazing. Wink.
For a Beautiful Body- Oats (certified gluten free). Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, making them quite filling; they also don’t spike your blood sugar the way refined carbs and sugars do. In a study done at Harvard, it was determined that this whole grains contribute to an increase in metabolism that may reduce long-term weight gain and cellulite.
For eliminating dark circles and puffiness- Bananas. Bananas are rich in Vitamin B, which wards off irritability and insomnia, and also in magnesium, which promotes better sleep patterns (we all know lack of beauty sleep is a big contributer to those less than attractive under-eye circles).
For clear eyes- Blueberries. Blueberries contain a special group of antioxidants called cartenoids and flavonoids; vitamins A, C and E; and selenium, zinc and phosphorus, which are all beneficial and essential for eye health.
For soft skin- Walnuts. Walnuts are rich in Vitamin E, which helps protect dry skin from the harsh elements of the environment and L-arginine, an amino acid that helps with the healing and repair of collagen and tissue.
All of these amazeballs ingredients can be found in the recipes below. So cancel your next botox session and make this instead. Oh and BT Dubbs, it tastes effin phenomenal (ma betches and MLB will attest to that).
Coconut Yogurt, GF Granola & Berry Parfait
- 2 cups coconut meat (find in the freezer section of health food stores or buy a coconut and shell meat)
- 2 cups strawberries (frozen is ok)
- 2 cups Banana
- ½ cup raw coconut water
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, soaked for 2-6 hours
- 2 TBSP coconut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla bean
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups frozen or fresh berries
- ½ cup water
- 2 TBSP Maple Syrup
- For your coconut yogurt, put all ingredients in your high speed blender and blend. Easy, peasy. Scoop out and store in the fridge to chill while you work on the rest of your dish.
- Next, work on your granola recipe. For a bomb.com gluten-free and vegan friendly granola recipe, check this one out- http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2013/11/15/breakfast-friday-pumpkin-maple-pecan-granola.html
- Now onto the berry compote. Put your compote ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until well combined/saucy.
- Now layer your parfait. First the yogurt, then granola, more yogurt and more granola. Top with compote and fresh fruit.
Your betchy brunch awaits!
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- Mood-Boosting No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo/Vegan) - February 12, 2020
- PMS Cravings? Satisfy Them In A Healthier Way With These Flourless Fudgy Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Brownies - February 5, 2020
- Reduce PMS with This Maple Banana Walnut Oat Bake + Other Tips - January 29, 2020