If you didn’t catch my last post, life has been pretty cray as of late. With wedding planning, busy season at work, back to back weekend trips and a jam packed social calendar things have been chaotic, busy, stressful and AWESOME. However the non-stop action has left me with so little time to devote to cooking, my blog and you my dear readers (sooooooooorry). Plus it’s been so hot, the last thing I want to do is get my sweat on in the kitchen.
Enter in my staple weekend brunch this summer- the sweet green smoothie bowl. I know, for those of you just like me that get your green smoothie on daily, you may be feeling a bit underwhelmed right now. But I promise you this smoothie is more like a filling milkshake, packed with protein and tons of good for you fats, antoxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc. Plus, the bowl situation takes it to a whole new level. Topping this bad boy with fresh figs (so in season right now), berries, granola, coconut flakes, honey and melted almond butter makes it a cereal lover’s dream come true…..but even better because it’s actually good for you and will sustain your energy vs setting you up for an intense sugar crash later.
Let’s break down the superfood ingredients-
1. Hemp milk- my favorite milk substitute. This blend of hemp seeds and water provides a creamy texture with a delicious nutty taste. Unlike cows milk, hemp milk is easy for your bod to digest and doesn’t cause any of the health problems associated with milk. Plus it’s a great source of protein, the amino acid GLA, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins A, E, B-12 and folic acid, and is rich in magnesium, potassium, iron and magnesium. Which means an 8 oz cup has basically all essential nutrients for a healthy diet and immune system. BOOM!
2. Kale- Do I really need to remind you of the benefits of kale? Yeah, I didn’t think so but I’m gonna do it anyway. Insanely high in antioxidants, fiber, iron, vitamin a, vitamin k, vitamin c, calcium, and the super star of detoxing foods. It doesn’t get much better than that.
3. Flaxseed- An insane source of phytochemicals (called lignans) and omega 3 fatty acids, just 2 tbsp of these bad boys daily aid in lowering cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, reducing bone loss, promoting weight loss,increasing immunity, and fighting cancer.
4. Almond Butter- High in calcium and copper, these minerals keep your nervous system functional and skeleton strong. It also enables you to make melanin, which is a pigment that helps protects your skin from the sun (I’m sure we could all use some of that this summer). Each 2-tablespoon serving of almond butter contains 111 milligrams of calcium, or 11 percent of the recommended daily intake, as well as 299 micrograms of copper, or one-third of the daily requirement.
5. Bananas- There’s pretty much nothing a banana CAN’T do, but here’s just a few of the many rad things it can- helps overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter, reduces swelling, protects against type II diabetes, aids weight loss, strengthens the nervous system, and helps with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6. Plus they are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke due to it’s high potassium content.
I swear starting my weekend mornings off with a big SGSB keeps me satiated, energized, beautiful and on my A game. And don’t think your dudes won’t feel the same…MLF (meat lovin’ fiance…weird) LOVES this bowl and is always excited when I make it.
Sweet Green Smoothie Bowl
- 2 cups hemp milk
- 2 cups kale
- 2 frozen bananas
- 4 dates chopped
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- sprinkle sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 ice cubes
- GF granola such as Purely Elizabeth
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Fresh figs, sliced in half
- TBSP melted almond butter
- TSP raw honey
- Cinnamon sprinkle
Now what are you waitin’ for? Treat YOSELF!