Lately I’ve been trying to make less decisions.
There have been a variety of articles out with successful entrepreneurs stating they wear the same thing ever day in order to limit decision making to important matters only- the less frivolous decisions we have to make throughout the day the more time and energy we have to focus on the BIG ones.
But when it comes to brunch….I can never decide. Sweet or savory? Savory or sweet? THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. So I usually just throw my hands up and end up having both.
However on the certain occasions I do pick sweet I usually regret it. Because waffles and pancakes are just too damn sweet. I end up feeling sick with a sugar-high that makes me crash and burn an hour later.
Thus I’ve been on a mission for a breakfast/ brunch dish that will satisfy my sweet-tooth without making me want to curl up and promptly take a nap or eat a sandwich. And also something easy that I could make and eat repeatedly throughout the week. And then I happened upon quinoa porridge at an adorable Australian eatery in NYC (why do Australians just do everything better?!).
Think creamy porridge or oats but with quinoa instead. I went home and tinkered with the idea until I create this creamy coconut quinoa porridge with blueberry chia jam. Let’s just say Goldilocks would most def approve.
This recipe is GENIUS for a few reasons:
- Quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain- but it’s prepared and eaten similarly to a grain. Thus it’s not only a nutritional powerhouse (high levels of iron, zinc, b vitamins, etc.) but can be easier for some people to digest while satisfying those carb cravings (ALWAYS).
- It’s higher in fiber than any other grain- fiber binds to toxins in our body and helps us excrete the waste- think more regular bowel movements people.
- It’s NATURALLY gluten-free, really high in protein (8 grams per cup) and has a low glycemic index, which is great for blood sugar control- meaning it’ll increase your metabolism and decrease your appetite after eating it- keeping you full and satiated for a prolonged time.
- Because of quinoa’s high fiber, protein, antioxidant content and low glycemic index it helps offset the natural sugar added from the maple syrup, fruit and vanilla in the recipe. Thus it’s an amazing way to satisfy your sweet cravings without experiencing the negative side-effects of sugar.
And obviously I wouldn’t be talking about this recipe unless it’s delicious- and it is. Especially when you add the simple four ingredient blueberry chia jam. And please don’t forget the almond butter…because almond butter always makes things better. Always.
It’s also really easy to make in huge batches that you can reheat throughout the week OR bring to a potluck OR cook when you’re hosting Mother’s Day brunch (trust if your mom is GF she’ll love it).
Creamy Coconut Porridge with Blueberry Chia Jam
Blueberry Chia Jam Ingredients
- 1 heaping cub blueberries (any berry would work here)
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Creamy Coconut Porridge Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups coconut milk
- sprinkle sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Additional Toppings Options
- coconut milk, almond butter, cinnamon, maple syrup, chia seeds, ghee, coconut butter
- Bring two cups coconut milk to a boil on the stove. Add in the cup of quinoa, sea salt, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. You want the quinoa to be cooked but still milky, leaving the texture somewhat creamy and “porridge” like.
While your quinoa is cooking add all the blueberry chia jam ingredients in second stovepot and bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer until the texture becomes cooked and "jammy" about 5-10 minutes.
Once quinoa is cooked let it sit for a few minutes to soak in more of the milk and cool.
Then top with blueberry chia jam, almond butter, cinnamon, more coconut milk (if you like it extra creamy) and more maple syrup if you like it sweet.
Foodcoma be gone- the day is now yours to conquer!
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- These Paleo Pumpkin Muffins Have Healthy Gut-Boosting Benefits - September 11, 2019
- 5 Easy Ways To Make Your Toast Healthier + Apple Cinnamon Crunch Toast Recipe - September 5, 2019
- Your Guide On Cooking For Natural Hormone Balance - August 30, 2019