Healthy + Easy Grilled Chicken + Veggies w/ Chimichurri Sauce
Summer is almost here, and for me that means meals must now meet the following requirements:
+ Efficient + easy to make (less time cooking, more time outside)
+ Grilled or cooked outdoors if possible (more time outside)
+ Seasonal + fresh (always)
+ Healthy + delicious (always, but especially now to have more energy to do all the summer things)
+ Family-friendly (i.e. not spending time making multiple meals)
And let me tell you, this healthy + easy Grilled Chicken + Veggies with Chimichurri Sauce nails all of the above.
The real magic is in the sauce, which if you know me then you KNOW I’m all about a good sauce. To me it’s the easiest way to elevate your meals, making even the most basic things taste restaurant-quality good. This chimichurri is also incredibly versatile, and you can use it as a major flavor-booster for scrambles, in tacos, on salads, etc.
Grilling the chicken and veggies adds an amazing depth of smoky flavor (while maximizing your time outdoors) but you also have the option to bake/roast for flexibility.
This is one the whole family can enjoy on repeat all summer long.
- For the Chicken + Veggies:
- 4-8 boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs
- 2 large red bell peppers, sliced into thick pieces
- 2 large zucchinis, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- 1 large sweet potato, boiled for 10-20 minutes + sliced into thick rounds
- avocado oil
- minced garlic
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- arugula or other leafy greens
- optional chopped nuts or goat cheese for topping
- For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 large bunch (about 2 cups) cilantro
- 1 large bunch (about 2 cups) flat leaf parsley
- 1 small avocado or ½ large avocado, peeled + chopped
- ½ -1 jalapeno, seeded (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 limes, juiced (about 6 tbsp fresh lime juice)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp water or more oil to thin
- Preheat grill to medium heat (425-450 F). Coat chicken + veggies with avocado oil, garlic, sea salt + pepper and place directly on grill (gives it a smokier flavor).
- Flip after about 10 minutes (or until veggies + chicken are nicely charred) then cook about 10 more minutes on opposite side.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked to 165 F. Chicken should be cooked through with juices running clear and veggies fully cooked with a nice char on each side.
- While chicken and veggies are cooking, add all chimichurri ingredients to a food processor and mix until creamy and well combined. It's okay if it's a still a little chunky! You may need to add more water or oil to get it to a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Top chicken + veggies with the chimichurri sauce. Option to serve over greens such as arugula and sprinkle with chopped nuts + goat cheese.
- Sauce makes great leftovers and adds flavor to scrambles, salads, tacos, etc.