If you’re like Bey, me, or pretty much everyone else this summer you’ve been all about that watermelon. Watermelon slices, watermelon cocktails, watermelon salads with basil and mint……but I bet you’ve never tried watermelon PIZZA. Until now…..
I mean, GENIUS right?!
My girl over at HealthandUs (an amazing plant-based blog with easy recipes- I highly recommend) whipped up this five minute recipe and shared it with me to share with you all! It’s one helluva summer treat, a great way to impress guests, healthy, hydrating and trending (because watermelon is like so hot right now).
We’ve only got a few weeks left of summer (waaaahh wahhhh) so I recommend you make this recipe ASAP. You can have it for brunch, dinner, a fun appetizer, an afternoon snack or dessert. If you wanna get really cray you can even add a touch of maple syrup and dollop of coconut cream. It’s also super appealing to kiddos and totes Beyonce approved.
Oh and because I just couldn’t help myself- 5 reasons why you should get your watermelon on before it’s too late:
1. Hello hydration– watermelons are made up of 92% water and full of important electrolytes, so it’s a super good snack to have on hand during those hot summer months when you need hydration (or in your cocktail to counteract the alcohol ;)).
2. Nutrients gallore– these bad boys are chock full of important vitamins and minerals (vitamins a & c, iron, calcium, magnesium) and contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable (an important nutrient that helps fight heart disease).
3. Fights Inflammation– Okay, I’ve talked about inflammation time and time again because it is NO JOKE (chronic inflammation is believed to be a major factor in most chronic diseases, digestive issues, and a host of other harming symptoms). But don’t fear, watermelon contains a nutrient called choline which reduces inflammation and also aids the body in sleep, muscle movement and the absorption of fat. BOOM.
4. Fiber- high in fiber + water = regularity = healthy digestive tract = no bloating/gas/constipation = amazing!
5. Improve recovery time– Getting in those summer runs and longer workouts (#bikiniseason)? Then watermelon should be your fruit of choice as it’s been shown to reduce muscle soreness and improve recovery time following exercise (researchers believe this is likely do to the amino acid L-citrulline contained in watermelon).
5-Minute Watermelon Pizzas
- 1 watermelon, sliced into large rounds like a pizza (see pictures)
- lemon juice
- fresh fruit such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and figs
- touch of honey/maple syrup
- nuts like pine nuts, pistachios, or coconut flakes
- herbs like fresh basil and mint
- Drizzle watermelon with lemon juice (and honey if you’d like to make it sweeter). Top with fruits, nuts and herbs of choice. Eat, enjoy, repeat. And don’t forget to follow HealthandUs for more amazing recipes!
- Tips For Healing + Trying To Conceive After Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss - October 21, 2020
- Hormone-Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free/Vegan-Friendly) - October 14, 2020
- Gut-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Blender Pancakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) - October 7, 2020