Last week I was hosting a meal prep workshop and someone raised their hand to ask me if I was being sponsored by sweet potato farmers — HA HA!
All joking aside — my love for sweet potatoes runs deep, as you’ve probably figured out on your own given the many, many recipe posts that feature this tasty little tuber.
But there’s a lot of legit reasons why sweet potatoes are lovable —
+ They’re Rich In Nutrients
Especially vitamins a, c & b6 — which helps alleviate nausea during pregnancy FYI
+ They’re Loaded w/ Fiber That Helps To Stabilize Blood Sugar & Keep You Fuller Longer
+ They Don’t Really Taste Like A Veggie
AKA one of the easiest veggies to trick picky kids or eaters into consuming
+ They’re Inexpensive
79 cents per pound at Costco — holla!
+ They’re Versatile AF
Bake them whole and stuff them with sweet or savory fillings, use them in desserts or baked goods (brownies are a fave), bake them as fries, add them to smoothies, cook them in chilis or stews, etc.
So while not sponsored (just obsessed) you can see there’s a lot of reasons why I like to incorporate sweet potatoes into meals, and baking them as crispy fries has to be my fave way of all time to enjoy them.
And even with the fries being THIS good, everyone knows fries are really just a vehicle for a sauce, which in this case is well deserving of the attention. Think a creamy, cheesy vegan queso loaded with veggies + nutrients and absolutely dairy-free.
While the ingredients of this dip may seem a bit random, I can assure you it all comes together for a delicious, versatile cheesy sauce that we use on a variety of dishes to instantly boost the flavor (tacos, burrito bowls, burgers, a dipping sauce for fries or grilled veggies, etc.) It’s also one of the infamously picky MLH’s (meat-lovin’ hubby’s) favorite sauces, and that’s REALLY saying something.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries + Vegan Queso Cheesy Dip
A healthier twist on a beloved classic, these baked crispy sweet potato fries dipped in vegan queso cheesy dip are nutrient-dense, delicious & will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced into long wedges (like fries)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil, melted
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
Queso Cheese Dip Ingredients:
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours in water (can skip if needed but won't be as creamy)
- 2 red bell peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup tahini sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (loaded with B vitamins and will give it that cheesy flavor)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl toss sliced sweet potato fries with melted oil and all seasonings until well coated.
- Place on lined baking tray, making sure there is plenty of space between each fry so they get nice and crispy (if they're too close together they will have a hard time crisping).
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While fries are baking, add all sauce ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until creamy and well-combined. Set aside until fries are ready and use as a dipping sauce or drizzle on fries.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- Mood-Boosting No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo/Vegan) - February 12, 2020
- PMS Cravings? Satisfy Them In A Healthier Way With These Flourless Fudgy Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Brownies - February 5, 2020
- Reduce PMS with This Maple Banana Walnut Oat Bake + Other Tips - January 29, 2020