No-Bake Carrot Cake Bliss Balls + Quick CBD “Cream Cheese” Frosting
You guys…I did a thing. A really, REALLY good thing.
I somehow managed to create a dessert that requires absolutely no cooking or baking, is completely gluten/grain/dairy/refined-sugar free, sneaks in tons of nutrients (including a VEGETABLE), contains ingredients to help boost your mood, reduce anxiety + lower stress, and still tastes insanely delicious (like carrot cake but in ball form).
In fact these No-Bake Carrot Cake Bliss Balls with Quick CBD “Cream Cheese” Frosting are so good I’ve been swapping them out for my nightly after-dinner dose of chocolate (a true testament right there).
I’ve also been topping my smoothie and coconut yogurt bowls with them, packing them as a snack during hikes and attempting to give them away to people so I stop eating them all myself.
And don’t even get me started on the frosting, which I somehow keep managing to dip my finger into every time I open the fridge. Funny how that happens (insert embarrassed emoji)!
As a new mom, I have to say I think they’d make the perfect Mother’s Day treat, but honestly they’re great for any shower or event, as a nutrient-dense snack to have on hand, or when you’re feeling overwhelmed and in need of a quick stress-buster/mood-booster (see deets below).
Stress-Busting, Anxiety-Reducing + Mood-Boosting Ingredients —
CBD is rich in cannabinoids that interact with almost every system in our bodies, helping to balance and regulate our neurotransmitter function, inflammation, mitochondrial function and metabolism.
While many more large-scale studies are needed (and in the works) initial clinical research is showing it can improve your mood and sleep while reduce inflammation, anxiety, stress and depression. Read this post to learn everything you need to know before purchasing and use the code sa_lauren20 to get a 20% discount off your first purchase with my fave organic, sustainable, female-owned + operated brand.
Walnuts are actually considered a natural remedy for depression, as they’re loaded with omega-3 fatty acids that create our cells’ outer membranes, which gives them the ability to communicate with one another.
This is crucial for allowing the movement of feel-good neurotransmitters, like dopamine and serotonin, to flow in and out of cells. Without enough of the right kinds of fats in your diet neurotransmitter function suffers, and many people feel the effects in rising anxiety, chronic stress, cravings, fatigue and mood swings (in fact there is biological evidence low levels of omega-3 fats contribute to depression and other behavioral and cognitive disorders).
Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fats as well as wild, cold-water fish like sardines and salmon. If you suffer from depression or mood disorders and aren’t getting at least 3 servings of wild fish per week (most of us aren’t) I highly recommend incorporating an omega-3 supplement into your routine as well.
Carrots are loaded with antioxidants (such as vitamin C and beta carotene) that fight free radical damage and inflammation and lower oxidative stress in the brain that can weaken nerve signaling capacity. These antioxidants have been shown to improve memory and mood, defend against cognitive decline, stop DNA damage and even prevent against Alzheimer’s disease.
Along with using them in this recipe, you can also try tossing them in salads, stir-fries, curries and soups.
So yeah, these little powerhouses aren’t called BLISS balls for nothing! Read on for the recipe and let me know in the comments below how they turn out.
Sending you all the good-mood-food vibes,
No-Bake Carrot Cake Bliss Balls + Quick CBD "Cream Cheese" Frosting
This easy, delicious, no-bake paleo treat is rich in key nutrients to help boost your mood, reduce anxiety and lower stress.
For the balls:
- 1 cup peeled and finely shredded carrot (2-3 large carrots, I used a cheese grater)
- 1 cup tightly packed, pitted + chopped dates (about 12-16 dates)
- 2 cups raw, organic walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup coconut flour (sub for other nut flour if allergic)
- ¼ cup raisins
For the Quick CBD "Cream Cheese" Frosting:
- ½ cup Kite-Hill Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 dropper (approximately 1 tsp) Hemp CBD Elixir (use code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or ½ of a lemon, juice squeezed)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add pitted and chopped dates to your food processor and mix until a ball forms. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Add walnuts, vanilla and spices to the food processor and blend until a semi-fine meal is achieved, about 15 seconds or so. Then add the dates and shredded carrot back in and pulse in one second increments until a loose dough forms. Be careful not to over-blend here, you want a dough, not a puree.
- Add coconut flour and pulse to combine. If it is not mixing, you may need to remove the lid and stir occasionally to encourage things along. Again, you don't want a puree or a paste, but a crumbly dough. Once well combined, add raisins and pulse or stir once more to loosely combine.
- Scoop out dough with a cookie scooper or roll into balls with hands (I like my balls larger -- refer to pictures -- but feel free to make whatever size you prefer) and place directly onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or serving platter. Repeat until all dough is used up. If the bites are too sticky to roll, add a little more coconut or almond flour to dry the mixture out.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill/firm up. While chilling, make your quick CBD "Cream Cheese" frosting by placing all ingredients in a food processor, high speed blender or bowl with beaters and blending until combined.
- Scoop a generous dollop onto each ball and place back in fridge (you can do this while still chilling/firming). Will last in your fridge for about a week or freezer for 2 months.