Too much? I know, I know, it’s cheesy… but I love me some play on words. And romaine. But not just any romaine. Grilled romaine, son.
Never heard of grilled lettuce before? Once you go black (like from the char, yeah?) you’ll never go back. It’s amazing what a minute on the grill can do to enhance the flavor of this simple yet nutritious leafy green.
Now I eat romaine on the daily. In my green smoothies, as a staple for salads, stuffed in my fresh rolls or even as a lettuce wrap. It’s jam packed with fiber, minerals, vitamins (more c then in an orange), iron, calcium, omega 3’s and believe it or not protein. Yeah that’s right, romaine lettuce is made up of 17% protein with 7.7 grams per head. It also contains all 8 essential amino acids, meaning it’s a complete protein- just like meat. Only better. So yeah, I eat this ish on the reg. But grilling it? By far and away my new fave way to prepare it.
I’ve made this for two events now and received mad props at both. However the MLB was skeptical. When I first presented this dish to the MLB, the prospect of (grilled lettuce??!!) made him question whether or not I’d “lost my effin mind.” But then he took a bite, and it in turn blew his.
Grilled Romaine with Caesar Dressing adapted from A Peaceful Plate
Caesar Dressing Ingredients
- ½ cup vegenaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp agave
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
Grilled Romaine Ingredients
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, sliced in half lengthwise
- small amount of olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat grill over medium heat (if you don’t have a grill preheat oven to broil).
- Blend all dressing ingredients. Set aside in fridge to chill.
- Brush a small amount of olive oil over the cut side of the romaine heart and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Place on the grill cut side down and sear for 30 seconds to two minutes, til edges start to slightly char. Flip and sear other side. Gently remove. (If using the oven remove and flip on a cookie sheet).
- To serve place on a platter and drizzle with caesar dressing.
Boom! Mind is blown.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- Gut-Friendly, One-Pot African Peanut + Sweet Potato Stew - November 6, 2019
- Healthy Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - October 28, 2019
- Your New Healthy Fall Snack Hack is Here — Easy Pumpkin Hummus (Vegan/Gluten-Free) - October 23, 2019