Pardon my online absence, but it was for a good reason. Last week I took off from work, unplugged (literally) and spent an entire seven days on Lake Couer d’alene boating, bbq’ing and getting in some good QT with my family. I can’t remember the last time we had a full week’s vacation together and it took me back to the sweet summer days of being a kid without a care in the world but which ice cream cone I’d order from Popsicle Joe (for the record it was almost always the drumstick).
Except for instead of consuming ice cream and hot dogs I was in the kitchen each and every night helping my family prepare fresh, vegan and gluten-free friendly meals that everyone could enjoy. Let me tell you, these meat lovers are not an easy crowd, but they were impressed by everything I made, especially my chipotle sweet potato salad with a honey, cilantro and lime vinaigrette. Oh yeah, it tastes even better than it sounds, and I’ve got my meat lovers (and of course the MLB himself) to attest to that.
I made this dish to go along with a simple green salad and BBQ chicken my dad was grillin’ up (which I of course chose to forgo) and I was told it complimented the meat very well. This spicy, smoky, sweet and tangy dish is also the perfect side to bring to a summer picnic, bbq or potluck and one that will impress both vegans and non alike. Plus, it’s super easy to make and the leftovers are just as good (if you’re lucky enough to have any).
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad with Honey, Cilantro & Lime Vinaigrette
adapted from In Sock Monkey Slippers
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, rinsed and chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp chipotle adobo sauce (NOT the peppers)
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup if completely vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees or grill to medium heat. Coat chopped sweet potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, ½ of the tsp of salt and cracked black pepper. Roast or grill for 30 minutes, flipping halfway in between. I usually broil the potatoes an additional couple of minutes to give them that nice charred finish.
- While taters are roasting or grilling, mix your vinaigrette by whisking all remaining ingredients in a large bowl except for the cilantro.
- Once taters are finished cooking, toss into bowl with the honey, lime vinaigrette. Add in chopped cilantro and mix well.
And you’re done! Seriously. Now go get your grub on alfresco and soak up those summer rays while you can.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- Healthy Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes) - November 12, 2019
- Gut-Friendly, One-Pot African Peanut + Sweet Potato Stew - November 6, 2019
- Healthy Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - October 28, 2019