The weather’s getting warmer (and I’m obvi grateful for it) but it can also make it a real betch to be in the kitch. MLB and I have been grillin’ quite a bit (well I chop/assemble/marinate and he mans the BBQ) but it’s nice to counterbalance grilled items with something simple and refreshing, especially when it’s hot out.
Enter in this stupid good super simple summer salad (or sx4) of avocado, arugula and orange, garnished with pistachios, mint and an orange vinaigrette. Avocados and arugula are at their peak right now, and the salad requires minimal kitchen work and NO heat or cooking, so it’s best to make it now and the remainder of summer.
Arugula also has a tasty peppery flavor that provides a naturally cooling effect on the body and is a hydrating food, helping your bod to stay chill and lubricated in the heat of summer. It’s also revered as a natural aphrodisiac as it has stimulating effects on the body, providing power and energy that vitalizes the system. So whether you’re feeling hot or you want to make things hot (wink) eating this salad is a good way to start. If you’ve read this post then you already know why avocados are good for us, but let’s talk about oranges for a minute. Yes, they are an excellent source of vitamin C but what, exactly, does that mean to you?
Vitamin C is the primary water-soluble antioxidant in the body, disarming free radicals and preventing damage both inside and outside cells. Inside cells, a potential result of free radical damage to DNA is cancer. Especially in areas of the body where cellular turnover is rapid, such as the digestive system, preventing DNA mutations translates into preventing cancer. This is why a good intake of vitamin C is associated with a reduced risk of colon cancer.
Free radical damage can also result in painful inflammation, as the body tries to clear out the damaged parts. As mentioned, vitamin C prevents free radical damage and is thus associated with reduced severity of inflammatory conditions, such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. It’s also vital for the proper function of a healthy immune system, and helps prevent colds and recurrent ear infections.
So in other words…eat your vitamin C, betches.
Now, back to this recipe.
I made it for some friends at a BBQ last weekend and they all raved about it. It’s visually stunning and a real crowd pleaser, so it’s perfect to bring to a potluck or summer picnic. Just make sure to eat immediately, as leftovers could get soggy (not like you will have any).
Super Simple Summer Salad of Avocado, Arugula & Orange
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into thick pieces (see pictures)
- 1 ripe organic orange, peeled and sliced into thick pieces (save 1-2 to juice for the dressing)
- 1 large handful of fresh arugula
- 2 tbsp pistachios, roasted
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
- 1- tbsp juice from fresh orange
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Layer arugula on the bottom of a place. Top artfully with avocado and orange slices, so that for each piece of avocado in orange piece is next to. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
- Top with pistachios and mint.
- EAT IT.
Seriously easy right? Leaving you plenty of time to let that arugula work it’s magic. You’re welcome.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- These Paleo Pumpkin Muffins Have Healthy Gut-Boosting Benefits - September 11, 2019
- 5 Easy Ways To Make Your Toast Healthier + Apple Cinnamon Crunch Toast Recipe - September 5, 2019
- Your Guide On Cooking For Natural Hormone Balance - August 30, 2019