You’ve probably figured it out by now, but I do most of the cookin’ in the household. And while MLB (Meat lovin’ boyfriend) is actually quite skilled in the kitchen, he’s Italian and specializes in all things NOT vegan/ gluten-free friendly. B.V.(before vegan) pizza and pasta nights a la MLB were once a staple in our weekly routine, and although always delish, they always left me with a major tummy ache.
Lucky for me, MLB has made some attempts at alternatives to our once frequently enjoyed faves, and he has mastered the art of the vegan, gluten-free pizza. Crispy, melty, cheesy, fresh and flavorful, this pizza hits the spot and always satisfies my junk food craving (sans stomach pains). It’s also super simple and quick to make.
DISCLAIMER- I do have to point out that although this dish is vegan and gluten-free, I wouldn’t necessarily consider it the healthiest of recipes. I personally strive for every meal to be as natural and plant strong as possible (think foods rich in nutrients your body needs like whole grains, raw fruits and veggies, nuts & seeds, beans, etc.). Each dish should be chockful of ingredients vital to your health and beauty (and plant sources are the best way get ’em). That being said, this recipe is a much better option than consuming pizza laden with processed meat and cheese, not to mention tons of saturated and trans fats, cholesterol and little to no fiber. I just pair my pie with a big green salad to ensure I’m getting enough vitamins and minerals with my meal.
MLB's Signature Pizza Pie
- GF/Vegan dough- Flying Apron makes a good crust and so does Udi's (although it does contain some egg)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- drizzle of olive oil
- ½ pack of Daiya's Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce- we love San Marzano
- Artichoke Hearts, quartered
- Black olives, sliced
- Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
- Fresh Basil leaves- torn into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
- Make sure dough is thawed and kneaded flat (if need be). Drizzle the top with olive oil and minced garlic. Put in the oven for 2-3 minutes to warm.
- Remove crust and spread sauce evenly. Sprinkle on your Daiya cheese and toppings of choice. The MLB standard includes artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, and black olives. Get creative with yours (just say no to pepperoni)!
- Put pizza back in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove when cheese is melted and crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Top with fresh basil, Brazilian Nut Parmesan and serve Italian style with a big green salad and some vino!
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- How to Boost Your Libido + Have Better Sex By Naturally Balancing Your Hormones - February 18, 2020
- Mood-Boosting No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo/Vegan) - February 12, 2020
- PMS Cravings? Satisfy Them In A Healthier Way With These Flourless Fudgy Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Brownies - February 5, 2020