Too Legit To Quit- Aritchokes + The World’s Most Addictive Aioli.
Something dangerous happened last weekend. I accidentally created the world’s most addictive aioli. And now I want it. All. The. Time.
Okay, so it’s not exactly the healthiest thing on the planet. But it is vegan (no eggs here), gluten-free and will make just about anything taste delicious (which is sometimes a necessity in order to get friends/ kiddos/meat-lovin’ men to eat more veggies). I paired this decadent dip with steamed artichokes which significantly upped the nutrient factor.
Artichokes are in season right now and are totes delicious. High in fiber and antioxidants (ranked 7th amongst 1000 different foods) these babies are known for cancer prevention, supporting the liver, improving gallbladder function, aiding digestion and reducing cholesterol. In the past I always shied away from using artichokes in dishes because I simply did not know how to cook them properly. But I’ve since learned they are super easy to prepare and make the most perfect, impressive party app or snack.
Steamed Artichokes + The World’s Most Addictive Aioli
- 2 whole globe artichokes
- 1 cup vegan mayo such as Vegenaise
- 1 lemon, juice squeezed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (oregano, dill, basil, thyme, etc.)
- Put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil (you will use this to steam the artichokes). While waiting for the water to reach boiling point, prep your artichokes by rinsing, drying and cutting off the long stems and making an x with knife in the bottom of the artichoke (this will help cook the artichoke thoroughly). Chop off a tiny bit of the top of artichoke (about ⅓ of an inch).
- Once water is boiling add in the juice of ½ lemon (save the other half for your aioli) and one minced garlic clove. Place steamer basket with artichokes (stem on bottom) into the pot and top with the lid. Turn heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While your chokes are steaming, mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl. And that’s how easy it is to make the aioli.
- Once artichokes are finished place on a plate with aioli. To eat rip off the leave of the artichoke and dip the bottom of the leaf in the aioli. Turn upside down use teeth to scrape of the meat of the leaf. When you finally get to the heart (THE BEST PART) make sure to cut off the hair coating it (I know it sounds weird). Before you indulge, dip that sucker in the aioli and it will be one of the best things you’ve ever tasted.
This dish is hands down one of MLB’s faves. Once he finished chowing on his artichoke he used the aioli on everything else (sandwiches, veggies, a spoon, etc. ) Per it’s title this stuff is addictive so to prevent binging I suggest having someone around in case there is need of intervention. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- CYCLE-SYNCING GUIDE — A Cheatsheet To Understanding + Supporting Your Monthly Menstrual Cycle - May 28, 2020
- How to REALLY Tell If You’re Ovulating + Best Fertility Awareness Methods (FAM) To Track Ovulation - May 21, 2020
- How To Make A Fertility-Boosting Smoothie + Dark Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Smoothie Bowl Recipe - May 13, 2020