CBD Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies *Paleo/Gluten-free/Dairy-free*
It’s the last week of #mentalhealthawarenessmonth and if you’ve been loving these stress-reducing, mood-boosting recipes DON’T FRET — there will be plenty more to come, no matter the time of year.
Yup, I went there. And let’s just say there’s no going back.
After a whole lot of trial and error with these babies (including plenty of dry, crumbly, completely unacceptable versions) I’m happy to say I have perfected the recipe for the most gooey, rich, fudgey, brownie-like cookies.
They’re also ridiculously easy to make, grain/dairy/gluten/refined-sugar-free and loaded with stress/anxiety/depression-reducing + mood-boosting ingredients including —
STRESS/ANXIETY-REDUCING + MOOD-BOOSTING INGREDIENTS
+ CBD Oil
I sound like a broken record over here, but trust it’s for good reason. This is because CBD is rich in active compounds called cannabinoids, which interact with our endocannabinoid system (ECS) that governs almost every system in our body (digestive, nervous, reproductive, immune, etc.)
The cannabinoids supplied by CBD assist our ECS in creating balance and homeostasis with in our bodies, thus addressing a ton of health symptoms and working to improve your mood and sleep, while reducing inflammation, stress, anxiety, chronic pain and depression.
If you struggle from any of these symptoms it’s definitely worth a shot to try. Read more about everything you need to know before purchasing, my favorite trusted brand/source, and use the code SA_LAUREN20 to save 20% off your first order!
+ Cacao Powder/Dark Chocolate
Lucky for us all, dark chocolate (aka cacao powder) is at the top of the list when it comes to mood-boosting foods! This is primarily because of it’s high magnesium content, which is an anti-stress mineral that regulates more than 300 biochemical reactions in our body, including sleep, digestion, muscle relaxation and mood. It’s also listed as one of the top antidepressant nutrients said to play a key role in prevention of depression/mental health challenges.
+ Pasture-Raised Eggs
Pasture-Raised Eggs are rich in omega-3’s and B-vitamins, two other antidepressant nutrients that are key building blocks for optimal brain and neurotransmitter function (aka your feel good hormones like serotonin, GABA and melatonin). Just make sure you eat the yolks, because that’s where all the good stuff is.
WHY FOOD IS SO IMPORTANT FOR MENTAL HEALTH
In a country where 1 in 10 people are currently on depressants and anxiety disorders are affecting more than 40 million Americans, it’s important to know there are plenty of things you can do to optimize your mental health.
But in the words of Renowned Nutrition Psychiatrist Dr. Drew Ramsey, “You can’t truly engage in mental health if you’re depleted in nutrients.”
Which honestly, most of us are! Currently, 94% of Americans don’t meet the daily requirement for Vitamin D, 88% for Vitamin E, 52% for magnesium, 44% for calcium and so on.
While engaging in practices like cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness, exercise, restful sleep and meditation can boost mental health, supplying your body with the nutrients it needs to thrive will greatly assist you in these efforts (instead of taking you further from your goal).
So when in doubt, I encourage you to try starting with real, whole, nutrient-rich foods and go from there!
And if you need some inspo, these cookies are about as good as a starting point as it gets.
Sending you all the happy, healthy vibes,
CBD Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
These gooey, rich, chocolatey, brownie-like cookies are also easy to make, grain/gluten/dairy/refined-sugar-free and loaded w/ stress + anxiety-reducing and mood-boosting ingredients.
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ cups coconut sugar
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp CBD Hemp Oil (use code SA_LAUREN20 to get 20% off your first purchase)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups cacao powder
- ½ bar dark chocolate chunks or ¼ cup dark chocolate chips for topping (I love the Hu brand)
- flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar until completely combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until mixed.
- Add in the baking soda, salt, and cacao powder and stir until smooth. The dough should be very wet and "fudgey" more like a brownie than a cookie.
- Use a cookie scooper to shape cookie dough balls (you can use your hands but it may get messy with the dough) and place on a large parchment-lined baking pan with plenty of space between each cookie.
- Press chocolate chunks or chips into the top of each cookie (you can also mix in the dough if you prefer) and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the edges are firm but the center is still gooey.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then get your zen on.
Latest posts by Lauren Chambers (see all)
- CYCLE-SYNCING GUIDE — A Cheatsheet To Understanding + Supporting Your Monthly Menstrual Cycle - May 28, 2020
- How to REALLY Tell If You’re Ovulating + Best Fertility Awareness Methods (FAM) To Track Ovulation - May 21, 2020
- How To Make A Fertility-Boosting Smoothie + Dark Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Smoothie Bowl Recipe - May 13, 2020