Stress-Reducing CBD Dark Chocolate Rocky Road Fudge (Vegan/GF)
Out of all the holiday treats out there, my favorite has to be fudge.
Growing up I would eat it by the tinful (remember those old tins that held Christmas cookies?) and it holds a lot of nostalgia for me.
As an adult, I think I love it even more because it’s ridiculously easy to make and features my favorite ingredient ever — dark chocolate.
But if you’re familiar with myself or my recipes by now, then you know I can’t just make any old fudge.
So I set out on a mission to make fudge optimized with nutrient-dense ingredients, so that it not only tastes good but makes you feel good too.
And let me tell you, this Stress-Reducing CBD Dark Chocolate Rocky Road Fudge takes feeling good NEXT LEVEL. It packs in a number of nutrients that work to lower cortisol levels, optimize feel good neurotransmitters (such as serotonin and GABA) and instantly boost your mood. Let’s break it down by key ingredients.
STRESS-REDUCING + MOOD-BOOSTING INGREDIENTS
+ Dark Chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
Dark chocolate (cacao) is abundant in magnesium, an “anti-stress mineral” that helps you release tension, sleep better and works to boost your mood. I love the Himalayan Sea Salt Bars by Bulletproof, as they’ve got a rich taste and zero sugar added.
+ CBD Oil
CBD is sourced primarily from the flowers of the hemp plant. What’s really cool about CBD is it contains cannabinoids, which are active compounds that interact with our endocannabinoid system (aka almost every system in our bodies) helping to balance and regulate everything from our neurotransmitter and mitochondrial function to inflammation and metabolism. They also contain very low levels of THC, under 0.3%, so you get all of these amazing anti-inflammatory and stress + anxiety-reducing properties of cannabis without the high.
Read this post to get the full scoop on CBD (as well as what you need to look for in brands before purchasing). I love the brand Soul Addict and you can use my code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase.
Not only are walnuts one of the most nutrient-dense nuts around, but a recent study found they’re also extremely beneficial for our digestion, which is intricately linked to our brain function and mood. This is accredited to their high omega-3 ratio, abundance of disease-fighting phytochemicals and high fiber content.
+ Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
These oils are rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that can help improve the gut microbiome composition, impacting the gut-brain axis and improving mental health.
+ Peanut Butter
Just when you thought your favorite spread couldn’t get any better, you get to find out it’s also rich in vitamin b6, which helps to support and strengthen neurotransmitters such as serotonin (your feel good hormone) melatonin (your sleep hormone) and GABA, your relaxation or stress-reducing hormone. It’s also loaded with zinc, which works to remineralize your blood, making it a great option during your menstrual cycle to boot. If you can’t do peanuts, try swapping for organic almond or cashew butter.
If you’re feeling a bit blue, stressed out or anxious (and also happen to love chocolate) this fudge would be an awesome way to incorporate more stress-reducing, mood-boosting ingredients into your diet in a delicious way. Or if you simply just need an easy last minute holiday treat to make/bring to gatherings, this crowd-pleasing CBD Dark Chocolate Rocky Road Fudge will do the trick. ***If serving to kids, I’d encourage you to leave out the CBD, as there’s not much science out there yet on how it may affect them.
- For The Peanut Butter Mixture:
- ½ cup organic creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp organic coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Dark Chocolate Mixture:
- 1 cup Bulletproof Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic full fat canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup organic coconut sugar or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup vegan marshmallows
- ½ tsp sea salt + more for topping
- 2 droppers full ofSoul Addict CBD Oil(about 8.4 mg) (use code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine all dark chocolate ingredients except for marshmallows and CBD, and stir continuously until melted. Once thick, creamy and shiny remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together peanut butter ingredients in a medium sized bowl until smooth.
- Pour dark chocolate mixture into the peanut butter mixture and add the CBD oil and marshmallows, stirring with a spatula until well-combined.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and spread mixture evenly in the bottom with the spatula. Option to sprinkle more chopped walnuts, marshmallows and sea salt on top.
- Let freeze for 1 hour in the freezer or minimum 3 hours in the fridge before eating.
- Tips For Healing + Trying To Conceive After Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss - October 21, 2020
- Hormone-Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free/Vegan-Friendly) - October 14, 2020
- Gut-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Blender Pancakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) - October 7, 2020