Mood-Boosting No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting (Paleo/Vegan)
If it wasn’t already obvious (see recipe index) I have a serious sweet tooth.
While I don’t feel great if I overdue it with the sugar (let’s be honest who does?) I am ALL for indulging mindfully in a treat every now and again (cough cough every night after dinner).
But if you know me, then you also know I can’t settle for anything that doesn’t both taste good AND make you feel good too.
And that’s where these No-Bake Fudgy Red Velvet Cake Balls + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting come in.
Not only are they void of the usual dessert culprits (dairy, refined sugar, gluten, processed oils) that can leave us feeling puffy, bloated, unbalanced and with breakouts but they’re rich in stress-reducing, mood-boosting ingredients, including healthy fats like nut butter (crucial for supporting brain function and mood), cacao (contains powerful antioxidants called polyphenols that boost blood brain flow, as well as magnesium, an “anti-stress” mineral that promotes calm, muscle relaxation and optimal sleep), beet powder (loaded with betaine, which helps the brain form natural antidepressants such as serotonin, a chemical in the body that regulates our mood) and CBD (regulates your neurotransmitter and mitochondrial function).
And while that might be exciting on the health front, let me assure you the taste and texture of these treats remind me exactly of a fudgy, rich cake ball, just a whole lot more filling and satisfying (so that you truly feel good just eating one). The CBD Cream Cheese Frosting is optional, but it’s also super easy to make and takes these no-bake cake balls to the next level.
Make a batch and keep in the freezer to have on hand for whenever a sweet craving strikes (or give em to friends/family/loved ones this Valentine’s Day for a thoughtful, heartfelt gesture).
Sending you so much love, today and always.
- For the cake balls:
- 1 cup Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin + Cupcake Mix (or other paleo/grain-free cake mix)
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1-2 tbspbeet powder (I like 2 but may want to start with 1 if not adjusted to the taste)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy cashew, almond or peanut butter (note -- peanut butter is not technically paleo)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Optional -- 2 scoops Bulletproof Chocolate Collage Protein Powder **use code Sogreen10 to save 10% off your first purchase
- For The CBD Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup Kite-Hill Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 dropper (approximately 1 tsp)Hemp CBD Elixir **use code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or ½ of a lemon, juice squeezed)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Begin with your cake balls by adding all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips/chunks) to a large bowl and stirring well with a spoon.
- Next add wet ingredients (vanilla extract, nut butter and maple syrup) and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips/chunks, then roll into balls with your hands or use a small ice cream scooper.
- Set balls on a parchment lined pan and place in fridge to chill.
- Add all CBD Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients to a small bowl and mix with beaters (or a high speed blender) until creamy and smooth.
- Remove balls from fridge and drizzle cream cheese frosting on top (you should have more leftover).
- Place back in fridge and store for up to a week or freezer for 2 months.
- Tips For Healing + Trying To Conceive After Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss - October 21, 2020
- Hormone-Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free/Vegan-Friendly) - October 14, 2020
- Gut-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Blender Pancakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) - October 7, 2020