Gut-Friendly Cinnamon Roll Oat Bake + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting
‘Tis the season for cinnamon rolls!
But chances are (if you’re anything like me) the thought of homemade cinnamon rolls sounds amazing on your tastebuds, but uncomfortable on your gut.
Not to mention cinnamon rolls are a lot of work to make… and I’m not sure about you but I’d rather spend that time relaxing and hanging out with my fam.
Which is exactly where this Gut-Friendly Cinnamon Roll Oat Bake + CBD Cream Cheese Frosting comes in.
It’s a make ahead dish, which tends to be my go-to for holiday gatherings, as you can do the prep work ahead of time so you can actually chill at the event itself.
It’s also serves 6-8, so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd (or if you just happen to want leftovers for the week).
But the best part? It tastes like a heartier, healthier version of a warm, gooey, cream-cheese glazed cinnamon roll, that also happens to be loaded with gut-health-boosting nutrients, helping to naturally balance your hormones and empower you to feel your best.
Truly, this is a meal that actually tastes good and makes you feel good too. Snag the deets on the gut-friendly ingredients below, as well as the recipe.
Wishing you the happiest and healthiest of holidays my love, you deserve it.
Oats are rich in a prebiotic fiber called beta glucan that feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut. This bacteria uses the fiber to reproduce, and enhances your microbiome’s ability to make more nutrients, optimize digestion, relieve constipation, metabolize fats, regulate blood sugar, manage inflammation and decrease risk factors like obesity, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. ***If you have an autoimmune condition like Hashimoto’s or Celiacs, oats may be difficult to digest.
+ Ceylon Cinnamon
Adding more of this spice adds a natural sweetness to the dish, lessening the need for as much added sugar, which can wreak havoc on our guts. It’s also loaded with polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants that can help to provide relief for indigestion, flatulence, heartburn, nausea and stomach cramps.
Adding riced cauliflower to this dish not only successfully sneaks in a veggie to a sweet breakfast (no one will know, trust) but it significantly boosts the gut-friendly quotient of this dish with glucosinolate. This sulphur compound helps to protect the vulnerable lining of the stomach, reducing the chances of developing leaky gut syndrome or other digestive disorders. It also prevents bacterial overgrowth from occurring in the gut microflora, by keeping bad bacteria from overwhelming the digestive system and allowing good bacteria to thrive.
This powerful nut contains a beneficial combination of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, abundance of disease-fighting phytochemicals, and high fiber content, which has been shown to improve digestion and lower inflammation.
CBD contains powerful phytocannabinoids that work to heal the junctions in our intestinal lining that when ruptured (due to inflammation caused by processed foods, alcohol, caffeine, antibiotics, NSAIDS, sugar and other toxins) contribute to intestinal permeability (aka leaky gut). It also decreases spasmodic activity common in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). ***I highly encourage you to do your research before purchasing a product, as marketing is confusing and there’s a lot of snake oil out there. You can read this post for everything you need to know before purchasing.
- For the Oat Bake:
- 1½ cups GF rolled oats (I love Bob's)
- 1½ cups riced cauliflower
- 3 cups nutpods Cinnamon Swirl Creamer (or other non-dairy milk) Use code SOFRESH20 to save 20% off your first order
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp flaxseed powder + 2 ½ tbsp warm water (or swap for 1 whole egg, beaten)
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- For the CBD Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup Kite-Hill or Mykonos Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 droppers (approximately 8.4 mg)Hemp CBD Elixir Use code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or ½ of a large lemon, juice squeezed)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- If using flaxseed gel as a binder (vs an egg) combine the flaxseed powder and warm water in a small bowl and stir. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine all wet ingredients (including the flax gel OR egg beaten), mixing well, then stir in with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a 9'' by 13" inch baking pan and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and liquid is absorbed.
- While oats are baking, whisk together all ingredients for the CBD Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Let oat bake cool once done, then smother with CBD Cream Cheese Frosting. Will last in the fridge for a week
- Tips For Healing + Trying To Conceive After Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss - October 21, 2020
- Hormone-Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free/Vegan-Friendly) - October 14, 2020
- Gut-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Blender Pancakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) - October 7, 2020