Boost Your Energy with This Easy Beet Hummus + Avocado Toast
This new year – and month especially – I’ve been really into functional food. As in food that not only tastes good and looks beautiful, but has positive effects on our health beyond basic nutrition.
Like powdered mushrooms we can add to chocolate dessert to boost our libido or MCT oil we blend in our coffee to help us burn fat and stabilize blood sugar. In this latest case, it’s beet hummus that is not only fantastic as an appetizer or slathered on toast, but serves as a natural liver tonic, energy restorer and blood cleanser.
Yes, beets serve many other important purposes beyond adding vibrant color to dishes 😉 A few of my favorite functions they support include:
Detoxification: The betalin pigment in beets helps to form gluthione, which neutralizes toxins + heavy metals and makes them water-soluble so they can be easily be flushed out.
<Action step> Try drinking some beet juice or dipping veggies in this beet hummus after a long night out as they’ll help purify your blood, colon and liver.
Fights Inflammation: Beets are also a unique source of the nutrient betaine which helps to protect cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress (and we could ALL probably use some natural stress-relievers right now, amiright?!) Due to their ability to fight inflammation they also protect our internal organs and enhance performance.
<Action Step> Have a stressful project due at work or feeling on the verge of a cold? This beet hummus on avocado toast will be your jam, or try adding some beets to your soup.
Boost Energy + Stamina :
Studies have shown that people who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16% longer. This is attributed to the nitrates prevalent in beets, which transform into nitrate oxides that enhance our bodies tolerance to high-intensity exercise.
<Action Step> Add some beets in your smoothie bowl or try roasting and topping on some coconut yogurt before your next spin class or intense workout at the gym.
Bottomline: This beet hummus packs more nutritional punch per bite than many other foods, directly supports the immune system, cuts down on inflammation in the body and boosts stamina and energy. It’s also ridiculously easy to make and totally versatile (not to mention a creative way to sneak in those veggies for the kiddos). Enjoy as an energizing quick-fix, beautiful brunch or stunning appetizer pre-girls night out (detox to retox anyone?!)
Lots of love and hot pink vibes to all.
Energy Boosting Beet Hummus + Avocado Toast
Beet Hummus Ingredients:
- 2 small roasted beets or 1 large roasted beet
- 1 15 oz. can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- juice of half a large lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping Tbsp tahini
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
Avocado Toast Ingredients:
- gluten-free bread, toasted plain
- sliced avocado
- sliced radish (optional)
- chopped chives (optional)
- sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Peel and chop your beets into small pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and roast for 30 mins, flipping halfway.
- Once your beets have roasted and cooled, place it in your food processor and blend until only small bits remain.
- Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing.
- Toast your bread and layer with beet hummus, avocado and additional toppings.
- Enjoy on your avo toast, as a dip for chopped veggies, with your salads or grain bowls or topped on endive for adorable little boats.
- Hummus will last in the fridge for about a week.