Creamy Quinoa Porridge with Apple Pie Compote (GlutenFree, DairyFree)
Is there anything that says fall more than warm apple pie fresh out of the oven?
Okay maybe the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte…but neither option comes close to the goodness, warmth, nourishment and sweet creamy taste this coconut quinoa bowl with apple pie compote provides!
Besides being totally seasonal, cozy and tasting like apple pie (minus the sugar/ gluten/ butter/ bloat/ weight gain) this quinoa porridge packs a powerhouse punch.
First, by swapping traditional oats for quinoa (which is actually a seed, not a grain) you’re getting a mega dose of protein (8 grams per cup), fiber, and antioxidants like iron, zinc, b vitamins, etc. It’s also low on the glycemic index, which is awesome for blood sugar control, and helps keep you full and satiated for a prolonged period of time.
Second, although this recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth there is absolutely no refined sugar in it! The sweet taste comes from the whole, ripe fruit (Honeycrisp Apples FTW) and a little bit of coconut nectar , which is a very low GI liquid sweetener derived from the coconut flower blossoms. The sap from these blossoms is evaporated at low temperatures, resulting in a raw, nutrient-rich syrup that tastes BOMB.
Lastly, the creaminess in this porridge is not derived from hard-to-digest-dairy, but from coconut milk, which is my go-to for any sweet/ dessert recipe due to it’s insane texture and taste and plethora of health benefits. There are so many (health benefits) it could take up an entire blog post so I’ll leave you with this little nugget- coconut milk contains a medium-chain fatty acid (heard of those ever popular MCT’s yet?) that is easily absorbed by the body and used for energy. This GOOD fat helps you lower cholesterol, improve blood pressure and can even prevent heart attacks or strokes.
Thus combining powerhouse coconut milk and quinoa with fiber-rich apples and a low glycemic natural sweetener makes this a far healthier and more delish choice than your morning eggo or protein bar.
MLH isn’t one for sweet breakfasts, but he’ll still mow down a bowl of this any day. It’d also be a fantastic option for kiddos, and you can make this batch on the weekend and reheat throughout the week for a quick and easy tasty morning treat.
It also works as dessert (hello excellent substitute for apple pie) . Don’t forget to top it off with creamy almond butter for that additional protein and flava flave, or even coconut whipped cream if you’re feeling decadent.
Go on, you deserve it… Treat Yoself!
Sidenote- If creamy, amazing delicious quinoa porridge is NOT your jam (promise I’m not judging here ;)) you can top this bad boy onto just about anything. A few ideas include baked sweet potatoes, coconut yogurt, coconut milk ice cream, oatmeal, or eat with a bit of coconut whipped cream and chopped nuts.
Creamy Quinoa Porridge with Apple Pie Compote
Apple Pie Compote Ingredients
- 1 honey crisp apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp water
Creamy Coconut Porridge Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups coconut milk
- sprinkle sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Additional Toppings Options
- coconut milk, almond butter, cinnamon, coconut nectar, chia seeds, ghee, coconut butter
- Bring two cups coconut milk to a boil on the stove. Add in the cup of quinoa, sea salt, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. You want the quinoa to be cooked but still milky, leaving the texture somewhat creamy and “porridge” like.
- While your quinoa is cooking add all the apple pie compote ingredients in a second pot and bring to a boil over the stove; then reduce to a simmer until the texture becomes cooked and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Once quinoa is cooked let it sit for a few minutes to soak in more of the milk and cool.
- Then top with apple pie compote, almond butter, cinnamon, more coconut milk (if you like it extra creamy) and more coconut nectar if you like it sweet.
- Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - April 19, 2021
- Best Gluten-Free Lactation Cookies For Nursing + Postpartum Hormones - April 11, 2021
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Fudge Fertility Smoothie - April 1, 2021