Hormone-Healthy Gingerbread Cookie Dough Balls + Cream Cheese Frosting (Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free)
Where my Christmas Cookie Dough lovers at?
In a world filled with Christmas cookie recipes, I have to say, I’m way more into cookie dough.
Not only is cookie dough no-bake and super simple to make, but it serves as the perfect vehicle for sneaking in superfood ingredients (kind of like smoothies) without affecting the texture or taste (rather enhancing it).
Specifically, this Hormone-Healthy Gingerbread version sneaks in quite a few hormone-healthy ingredients, including healthy fats like nut butter and coconut oil (crucial for supporting brain function, ovulation and your menstrual cycle), fiber from almonds and coconut (optimizes your gut’s production of feel good hormones and neurotransmitters like serotonin, GABA and melatonin), adaptogens (normalizes your physiological functions and brings homeostasis to the body and brain) and optional CBD (regulates your neurotransmitter and mitochondrial function while minimizing stress hormone cortisol).
While it does contain sugar in the form of maple syrup, the combination of collagen protein, fat, fiber and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves help to regulate your blood sugar, which is also crucial for keeping hormones balanced.
Thus this Hormone-Healthy Gingerbread Cookie Dough makes for the perfect treat when you want something that tastes good, and still feel amazing/on your A-game this holiday season.
Pro-Tip — I’m obsessed with sprinkling these on smoothie and yogurt bowls, it’s so tasty and satisfying!
You can enjoy this cookie dough any time of month, however I especially love making it in my luteal phase (aka the 10-14 days leading up to your period) as it’s an effective way to satisfy those sweet cravings, while still keeping blood sugar balanced, key for regulating PMS/mood.
- For The Gingerbread Dough:
- 1¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- OPTIONAL -- 2 scoops Bulletproof Collagen Protein Powder (use code SOFRESH10 to get 10% off your order)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup Ground Up Gingersnap Butter (use code SOFRESH15 to get 15% off your order)
- 2-4 tbsp melted coconut oil (start w/ 2 + add more if still too dry)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL -- 1 tsp ashwaghanda or maca powder for additional hormone support
- For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup Kite-Hill Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or ½ of a lemon, juice squeezed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL --1 dropper (approximately 1 tsp) Hemp CBD Elixir (use code sa_lauren20 to save 20% off your first purchase)
- Mix together all the dry cookie dough ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract until well-combined.
- Pour wet ingredients in with the dry and stir until thoroughly mixed. The mixture should feel doughy, but not too wet, and stick together well. If it's too dry you can try adding more melted coconut oil.
- Use an ice cream scooper or your hands and roll into balls, placing on a parchment lined pan or plate. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While chilling, combine all Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients together in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until texture is whipped. Put a generous dollop onto each ball. Option to top with coconut shavings + star anise for a decorative topping.
- Keep in fridge for a week or freezer for 1-2 months.
- Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - April 19, 2021
- Best Gluten-Free Lactation Cookies For Nursing + Postpartum Hormones - April 11, 2021
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Fudge Fertility Smoothie - April 1, 2021