Superfood Coconut Blueberry Oats with Almond Butter, Maple Syrup & Chia Seeds (Gluten-free & Vegan)
I don’t know about you but oatmeal is one of my ALL-TIME favorite foods. I could eat it every day, and I actually did for several years (creature of habit right here). This past winter I was even eating it for lunch and sometimes dinner (MLF found this disgusting…. “Breakfast food is for breakfast”). But it’s just so warm, comforting, filling, healthy and delicious- all the makings of a perfect meal.
However, not all oatmeal is created equal. For one thing, although oats are naturally gluten-free, many are processed in facilities with gluten and thus are not truly gluten-free. So you want to make sure you are buying certified gluten-free oats such as these, in order to avoid inflammation and irritation in the gut.
Also, it matters what you put into your oatmeal. DO NOT buy instant oatmeal as those are filled with additives, sugar and processed chemicals (and have little to none nutritional value). I try and pump up my oatmeal with as many superfoods as possible to turn it into a real powerhouse meal. When I do this it keeps me full for hours- I’ll make this dish when I know I have a long day ahead and need tons of extra energy to get me through.
These coconut blueberry oats are my absolute favorite way to eat oatmeal lately for the following reasons-
(GF) Oats not only keep your insulin levels low after you eat them (preventing blood sugar spikes that signal your body to store fat) but they also have loads of fiber.
The coconut milk adds such a creamy (dairyfree!) taste and texture.
Blueberries add a pop of brightness and maje antioxidants.
Dates & Grade B Maple Syrup add an all natural, plant-sourced sweetness.
Chia Seeds are filled with Omega 3’s which reduce inflammation and help with weight loss by regulating your blood sugar levels and insulin.
A scoop of almond butter provides a hearty, nutty flavor and also tons of vitamins and magnesium, which help you produce energy and synthesize fatty acids needed for energy.
Cinnamon helps to curb your sweet tooth and balance your blood sugar.
Oh and did I mention this meal is one pot, 10 ingredients, takes about 15 minutes to make, and has over 20 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber. BOOM!
Superfood Coconut Blueberry Oats with Almond Butter, Maple Syrup & Chia Seeds
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup organic coconut milk (from a can for creamiest texture)
- 1 cup certified gluten free oats
- ½ cup blueberries
- 4 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp grade b maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Pour water and coconut milk into a medium sized pot, sprinkle with sea salt and bring to a boil. Add in oats, top with lid and simmer, stirring often. After about 5-10 minutes, when the texture is thick but still creamy, take off simmer.
- Add in the chopped dates, blueberries, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - April 19, 2021
- Best Gluten-Free Lactation Cookies For Nursing + Postpartum Hormones - April 11, 2021
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Fudge Fertility Smoothie - April 1, 2021