Vegan Burrito Bowl with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans, Corn Salsa and Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce
Okay, okay….I know what you’re thinking…
#1 Where the EFF have you been SoFreshNSoGreen?!!!
#2 A vegan burrito bowl huh? What about the sour cream…the cheese…the meat…the refried beans?
So now I will answer you. In order.
#1 I’m sorry, I truly am. Things have been busy…really REALLY busy.
Doing a lot of this
Can’t forget this
Oh yeah and then there was THIS
That’s right, the MLB (meat-lovin’ boyfriend) is now the MLF (figure it out). And I couldn’t be more thrilled!!!
So you see, I’ve been busy. But I haven’t forgotten about you dear readers. I’ve been working on a lot of good stuff that I’ll be posting and catching you up on in the next few weeks.
Oh yeah and also, to answer your second question….
#2- Trust. This bowl is so flavorful, so filling, and so amazing that I guarantee you won’t miss all of that other fattening, clogging, toxic junk. For example, a typical burrito bowl at Chipotle with chicken, white rice, beans, cheese, sour cream and guac has approximately 920 calories, 50 grams of fat, and 2,035 mg of sodium!!! That is half of your days caloric intake and a full day’s worth of sodium and fat in one meal! But that’s honestly not even the really bad part. The really bad part is that typical burrito bowls contain processed food, a ton of sugar and empty carbs, and really difficult to digest meat and dairy that can wreak havoc on your body.
The good news is you have other options (like this bowl) where you won’t have to sacrifice flavor. In fact I think you’ll find the combination of metabolism boosting spices, sweet and savory roasted potatoes, organic produce (I got mine from the farmer’s market) and the creaminess of cashew cheese sauce makes for a much more fresh, DELISH burrito bowl (that won’t leave you with an upset stomach or indigestion later).
Chipotle ain’t got nothing on this.
Vegan Burrito Bowl
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Filling
- 2 small sweet potatoes, rinsed and chopped into small pieces
- ½ can organic black beans, rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 fresh ear of corn, kernels removed
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ poblano pepper, chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice squeezed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
Nacho Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups cashews, soaked 2-4 hours
- 2 bell peppers (I used sweet white ones from the farmers market) chopped
- ½ jalapeno, chopped
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup tahini sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Fresh greens
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss sweet potatoes and black beans with olive oil and spices and lay out in a parchment lined pan. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping halfway in between.
- While potatoes and black beans are roasting toss together your corn salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- Then take all nacho cashew sauce ingredients and blend together in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Layer greens on a plate and top with sweet potato mixture, corn salsa and cashew cheese sauce. Garnish with avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Tips For Healing + Trying To Conceive After Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss - October 21, 2020
- Hormone-Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (Dairy-Free/Vegan-Friendly) - October 14, 2020
- Gut-Friendly Pumpkin Spice Blender Pancakes (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) - October 7, 2020