It feels like just yesterday I was blogging about the seasons shifting into spring. And now here we are, a mere six months later, with the leaves changing, the air chilling, and autumn in full force. Although the rain is falling almost regularly now and the skies are darkening earlier, I find myself embracing the season for a number of reasons:
1. Fall fashion (boots, sweaters and scarves, oh my!)
2. Football (okay so I don’t really pay attention but who doesn’t like tailgating?) oh and GO HAWKS!
3. Prime-time TV (New Girl and The Mindy Project- how I’ve missed you.)
4. But most of all- FALL PRODUCE. Yes, fruits and veggies are in prime form this month with rich, hearty squash (in all shapes, types and forms), buttery chanterelles, ripe, juicy figs, sweet corn on it’s last leg of the season, and all pumpkin ERRTHANG in abundance. Including pumpkin spiced waffles. Or should I say especially pumpkin spiced waffles.
Best of all, the kind of pumpkin spiced waffles I’ve created are gluten-free, vegan, EASY and most of all mother effin’ delicious. Take my advice and eat them fresh off the griddle the MLB (meat lovin’ boyfriend) way- with a generous smattering of earth balance butter and creamy peanut butter, sprinkled with fresh blueberries and swimming in grade b organic maple syrup.
Vegan + Gluten-free Pumpkin Spiced Waffles
- Preheat waffle iron on medium high heat and grease with coconut oil.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix liquids in another and then add wet ingredients to dry. Stir well. You want the batter super thick- however if TOO thick add additional water or hemp milk to thin at your discretion.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until golden-brown and crispy.
- Serve the MLB way (see above for reference).
Peace out summer- helloooooo fall!!! I’ve decided you can stay awhile.