Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
While weeknight dinners can sometimes feel like a major chore, I find having a few easy, healthy and delicious go-to meals in your rotation can make a world of difference.
Enter in these Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, which are super simple to make (thanks Instant Pot), incredibly tasty (my whole family is obsessed) and loaded with nutrient-dense ingredients to help your gut and hormones thrive (including a variety of veggies).
They’ve become a staple around here for the reasons mentioned above, and one of those easy yet always satisfying options to turn to when you have no clue what to make for dinner.
But perhaps the best part?
The whole family always feels so good after we eat this meal. Energized, nourished, satiated and fulfilled, thanks to all those gut-friendly ingredients.
Let’s break it down!
GUT-FRIENDLY INSTANT POT BBQ CHICKEN STUFFED SWEET POTATO INGREDIENTS
+ Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are loaded with gut-friendly prebiotic fiber and liver-detox-supporting vitamin B6, helping your gut to eliminate excess hormones like estrogen (which if not effectively eliminated can lead to estrogen dominance).
+ Bone Broth
Loaded with gelatin, which has been shown to protect and maintain the function of the intestinal wall, helping to prevent gut permeability (aka leaky gut). Make sure to look for a brand that’s pasture-raised and organic for the full benefits.
Cabbage contains a variety of antioxidants that work to reduce gut inflammation, as well as soluble fiber to increase beneficial gut bacteria. It’s also rich in sulphur compounds called glucosinolates that support the liver and detoxification as well as elimination of excess estrogen.
Several studies have linked consumption of cilantro and coriander (it’s seeds) to reducing uncomfortable digestive symptoms, including bloating and abdominal pain. It’s also known for its inflammation fighting and natural detoxifying properties.
+ Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-yeast and fungal benefits on our gut microbiomes, helping to decrease growth of harmful gut bacteria, boost immune function and improve many cases of heartburn and indigestion.
Avocado is packed with fiber and nutrients like potassium that work to promote healthy digestive function. It’s also an amazing food for promoting optimal fertility, due to it’s high ratio of inflammation-fighting monounsaturated fatty acids.
BAKED SWEET POTATO TIPS + CUSTOMIZATIONS
Baked sweet potatoes are perhaps my fave way to make sweet potatoes because they’re SO simple (rinse and pat dry, then bake whole at 400 F for 1 – 1 1/2 hours until soft and fully cooked) and the flavor is next level (the baking caramelizes the sweet potatoes, bringing out their rich and sweet flavor).
I like to bake a big batch of sweet potatoes to use for this Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe, as well as have extra for leftovers or to use in sweet or savory breakfast bowls the next day (or freeze the flesh for smoothies)!
PRO-TIP: I love using garnet sweet potatoes, which are orange fleshed and a bit sweeter than other varietals.
TIME-SAVING TIP: Bake the sweet potatoes the night before to make this meal in 20 minutes the night of.
INSTANT POT BBQ CHICKEN TIPS + CUSTOMIZATIONS
Although the instant pot helps reduce time and optimize the easiness and flavor of this recipe, you can still totally make it without an instant pot. Here’s a few ways:
+ Baked BBQ Chicken Option
Coat with seasoning, then bake chicken thighs with the sweet potatoes at 400 F for 20-30 minutes, until meat thermometer reads 165 F. Shred once cooled and top with bbq sauce.
+ Stovetop BBQ Chicken Option
Add all bbq chicken ingredients to a large stovetop pan and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30-45 minutes until chicken is tender. Shred chicken once cooled.
+ Store bought BBQ Chicken Option
If you’re super short on time you can always buy an organic rotisserie chicken and warm over the stovetop with all of the bbq chicken ingredients.
CYCLE SYNCING BBQ CHICKEN STUFFED SWEET POTATO RECIPE TIP
Because this meal is a bit on the heartier side, it’s an excellent option to incorporate during your luteal phase, as the sweet potatoes in particular help keep blood sugar balanced and satisfy carb cravings in a nutrient-dense way. If you need more recipes to help balance your hormones and optimize your menstrual cycle, check out my go-to guide here.
This Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe is the ideal meal to make when you’re looking for something easy, healthy, crowd-pleasing and delicious. The ingredients also make it a nourishing and gut-healing option, which works to boost hormone health too!
MORE GUT-FRIENDLY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- For the instant pot bbq chicken:
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp GF Worcestershire Sauce (I like this brand)
- 2 cups clean BBQ sauce (this is my go-to)
- For the stuffed sweet potatoes:
- 4 large garnet sweet potatoes, rinsed + patted dry
- 1 large bag (4 cups) organic coleslaw mix
- ½ cupavocado oil mayo
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar(this brand is my fave)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Optional sliced avocado + more cilantro for topping
- If you haven't already baked your sweet potatoes, get those going first by preheating the oven to 400 F. Rinse + pat dry whole sweet potatoes, place in a parchment lined baking pan and bake until soft and caramelized, about 1-1/2 hours, turning halfway through.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, start on your chicken next. You can opt for any of the customizations mentioned in the blog post above, or follow these instant pot instructions here.
- Place ingredients in instant pot in this order: first bone broth, then chicken thighs, then all seasoning, then Worcestershire sauce and lastly bbq sauce. Don't stir.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure the valve is sealed. Using the manual settings, select high pressure for 15 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. When done use forks to shred chicken and mix.
- While sweet potatoes and chicken are cooking assemble your coleslaw by mixing together the mayo, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper together in a medium sized bowl to form the coleslaw sauce. Once mixed add in the coleslaw mix and toss evenly. Set aside in fridge until chicken and sweet potatoes are ready.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooked and cooled (about 10 minutes) and chicken is cooked and shredded layer your sweet potatoes with the bbq chicken + sauce mixture first, then coleslaw and finally sliced avocado and more cilantro if desired. Enjoy right away or save all ingredients in separate containers for awesome leftovers.
- Best Supplements and Herbs To Balance Female Hormones Naturally - May 3, 2021
- Common Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance in Women + What To Do About It - April 30, 2021
- Gut-Friendly Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - April 19, 2021