The One Soup You Need This Fall — Creamy Heirloom Tomato + Basil Bisque
I said it before and I’ll say it again — if late summer and early fall had a baby it would be this Creamy Heirloom Tomato & Basil Bisque.
Because juicy heirloom tomatoes are maybe the best thing about late summer.
And because a warm and cozy bowl of soup is definitely the best thing about fall (amongst all the pumpkin, squash, hot chocolates, sweaters, farmers markets and baking of course 😉 ).
So when you combine the two you get the perfect “summer to fall” transition — at least in my opinion.
I’d also be remiss if I didn’t mention I love this soup because it totally reminds me of the comforting childhood classic, but upgraded with plenty of nutrient-dense ingredients and anti-inflammatory swaps.
Think gut-healing bone broth, fresh ripe tomatoes rich in vitamins, chickpeas for a healthy dose of protein and fiber, and coconut milk for a major creamy factor (minus the difficult to digest dairy).
I love serving it alongside this caesar salad but I’m sure it’d be equally as good with a melty gluten-free grilled cheese (because #balance).
What are your favorite fall foods or dishes? Any classics you want to see upgraded with a healthy twist? LMK in the comments below.
Creamy Heirloom Tomato & Basil Bisque
If late summer and early fall had a baby, it would be this Creamy Heirloom Tomato & Basil Bisque. This upgraded take on a comforting classic is loaded with peak late summer produce, gut-healing and nutrient dense ingredients and cozy enough to satisfy all your fall Netflix binges.
- 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced heirloom tomatoes
- 1 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn from stem
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed, I prefer this brand
- 1 can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 - 2 cups bone broth (add more or less depending on how thick you like your soup)
- Optional -- ¼ cup parmesan cheese or dairy-free substitute
- Heat oil in a medium pot. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the paprika, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant (one minute or so).
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir. Then toss in the fresh tomatoes, basil leaves and diced tomatoes.
- Stir, then add the chickpeas, coconut milk and bone broth. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, then uncover, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender and puree (you may need to do this in batches, or use an immersion blender). Taste and adjust seasonings, adding parmesan cheese or substitute, if desired. If the soup is too thick you can add more bone broth.
- Serve with caesar salad or pair with (gluten-free) grilled cheese 🙂
- Healthy + Easy Weeknight Meal: Sheet Pan Chicken Nuggets, Sweet Potato Fries + Quick Chipotle Aioli - July 15, 2020
- No-Bake Postpartum Monster Cookie Dough Balls (GF/DF) - July 7, 2020
- Fertility Boosting Foods Guide - June 28, 2020