Look, if you know me then you know I love to cook, but even ya girl has limits.
And lately, the weather’s simply been too nice to stay cooped up in the kitchen, especially when we have a plastic pool/sprinkler system situation set up in the backyard for my toddler, Eloise.
I don’t want to miss these moments slaving over a hot stove in the kitchen, so frankly, I don’t.
But I am still tasked with coming up with nutrient-dense and delicious meals the whole family can enjoy, and that’s how this Greek Chicken Quinoa Salad Bowl was born.
I love this bowl because it:
+ Requires minimal cooking
+ Is blood-sugar stabilizing, hormone-balancing + nutrient-dense
+ Highlights summer’s produce
+ Is delicious + satisfying
+ Makes great leftovers
+ Is versatile and easy to remix with other ingredients
The quinoa provides plenty of bulk and fiber (important for optimal digestion + excess estrogen elimination) while the veggies and greens are rich in both flavor and glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that supports your liver in detoxification and the metabolization of excess estrogen.
Adding organic rotisserie chicken is an optional way to get an extra protein boost, while the homemade dressing adds serious, next level flavor, and can be used in plenty of different bowl versions (think berries, pecans and goat cheese or smoked salmon, asparagus and avocado).
However you choose to build your salad bowl, you can’t go wrong with this easy summer meal idea.
Just as this bowl is perfect for the summer season, it’s also a great dish to enjoy when you’re ovulating (aka in your “inner summer” phase). The raw veggies have a cooling effect, while providing plenty of fiber to eliminate excess estrogen (which is at it’s peak during ovulation). The quinoa, chicken and dressing add a healthy dose of additional protein, fiber and fat, providing your body with the nutrients it needs to ovulate and create the healthiest egg possible, without weighing you down or making you feel too full/bloated.
Need more simple + delicious recipes to support your health + hormone balance? Check out my 28-Day Hormone Balance Reset Plan here.
- For the Bowl:
- 4-6 cups mixed leafy greens
- 1-2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1 organic rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 2 large chicken breasts, grilled/cooked)
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded + thinly sliced
- 1 cup mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small organic cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup kalamata or green olives, option to pit/slice
- Optional: high quality feta cheese, pine nuts or fresh herbs like dill/parsley/oregano
- For the Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. I like to cook a large batch (2 cups uncooked) to re-use for leftovers/other meals throughout the week.
- If cooking/grilling chicken, begin as well.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk together dressing ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Chop and assemble veggies and set aside.
- Once quinoa and chicken have cooked and cooled, layer large salad bowls with quinoa, chopped veggies, shredded chicken, herbs, pine nuts and optional feta cheese.
- Drizzle or toss with dressing and serve.
- Keep components separate (quinoa, veggies, dressing, etc.) in fridge to reuse/eat up throughout the week.